Laptop lcd backlight problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, so this isnt my laptop, its my step dads and hes not here with it right now so I cant check it to find the exact model, but its a compaq. Recently the lcd backlight went funny and wouldnt come on, occasionally people with the magic finger have been able to push the button that the screen pushes down when shut to turn the light off and it will come on and stay on till you close it or hit the button but generally when you press the button it will come on for a few seconds and turn back off, this led me to beleive that its simply a problem with the button that could be easily fixed. He took it to circuit city tonight (which is why its not here) and they told him its the LCD and would cost 400-600 dollars to replace, I dont see how its the LCD itself when the light comes on after pressing the button down sometimes and you can actually tell the lcd is displaying the stuff because if you look carefully you can see the screen its just not lit up. Can anyone tell me if we should just take circuit cities word or seek another opinion?

You could have a loose connection on the MOBO. You don't say what model or brand it is. Yes to replace the LCD is expensive, you can do it yourself and save money. It's not that hard to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back