Laptop - New OS install

Status
Not open for further replies.

doppleganger

Bought a Dell D600 off of someone, but they no longer had the restore discs that Dell had sent them with the laptop - came with a formatted HDD.

I bought winxp pro and installed it, but it came up with a bunch of devices that I still needed to get drivers for from Dell. I believe I got them all but 1.
Ethernet Controller it says, but for some reason I'm having a hard time finding that exact driver on their site. I've listed the specs for the laptop below for anyone that can help.
The wireless nic now says its connected, but I can't get out to the web or ping any LAN IP - guessing its cause of the ethernet controller, but not sure. Could also be that the wireless nic isn't turned on, but I don't see any option for that on the laptop (like a button). Any help would be appreciated.
I installed an ATI radeon 8900 driver that was listed, but GOOD GOD is the resolution SUPPER SMALL now! Lowering it gives me an error that says something like: You've chosen a resolution lower then 1400x1680, etc, etc.
Thats pretty high res for only a 15" screen, haha.

SPECS:

1 6M871 ASSEMBLY, CABLE, COAXIAL, LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, D-FAMILY
1 6M873 BEZEL, LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, LATITUDE, D600
1 8J775 LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, THIN FILM TRANSISTOR, SUPER EXTENDED GRAPHICS ARRAY PLUS, STANDARD PANEL WORK GROUP B, 14.1, SAMSUNG
1 8M659 ASSEMBLY, HINGE, COUNTER, COVER, NOTEBOOK, D600
2 8T145 BRACKET, LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, ADAPTER, D600
1 X2034 ASSEMBLY, BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP), NOTEBOOK, PENTIUM 4, M9, 32M, BURN 2, V2
1 X3677 ASSEMBLY, PALMREST, DUAL POINTING, D600, V2
1 7R414 PROCESSOR, 848215, 1.4GHZ, 1MB, MICRO FLIP CHIP PIN GRID ALIGNMENT
1 1M745 KEYBOARD, 87, UNITED STATES, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, DUAL POINTING, D-FAMILY, R2
1 F2951 KIT, CORD, FLAT, 3F, D3W/3P, PROPOSITION 65, UNITED STATES
1 5U838 CASE, CARRYING, NYLON, LARGE, D-FAMILY
1 5U092 ASSEMBLY, ADAPTER, ALTERNATING CURRENT, 65W, LITEON, WORLD WIDE
2 3Y182 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 266, 32X64, 8K, 200, BURN 2
1 8P783 BATTERY, MALAYSIA DIRECT SHIP, 11.1V, 6C, CYLINDRICAL, SANYO
1 6P679 ASSEMBLY, COMPACT DISK DRIVE, SMALL FORM FACTOR, 24X, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE, D MODULES
1 Y0231 MODEM, 56K, INTERNAL, MODEM DAUGHTER CARD, D480 CONEXANT ECLIPSE MODEM, V2
1 2R152 ASSEMBLY, FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, NEC CORPORATION, D MODULES
1 J2711 ASSEMBLY, CABLE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, FDD, PROPOSITION 65, D MODULES
1 8267R CONNECTOR, HEADER, 2X22, FEMALE, 2, S, G, 35K, THIRD HEIGHT, CHIP SET
1 N1166 HARD DRIVE, 40GB, I, 9.5MM, 5.4K, HIT-MRGA
1 R2527 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WXPPSP1A, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 J0846 CARD (CIRCUIT), WIRELESS, MINI PCI CARD, TM1300, BROADCOM CORPORATION

Well, I took a look at dells site, you have 2 ethernet controllers, the wireless and hard wired. The hard wired is the http://support.dell.com/support/dow...T_PM_D600&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2967&libid=5 (Broadcom Integrated)

And I assume the wireless (as with most dells) would be the Intel Pro Wireless. That is at http://support.dell.com/support/dow...T_PM_D600&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8274&libid=5

Also about your Res, the reason it wants that is your LCD is wide, but you can still take it down lower if you want.

1400x1680 is probably the recommended specs for your screen, but like mentioned above, you can take it down if you wish. If icons and stuff looks too small for you on this resolution, you can manually tweak it by going to display properties >Settings Tab >Advanced button >DPI setting and change it to a larger number.

Thx guys!

I eventually called dell cause there were so many drivers listed under the "network" tab. They got me hooked up and are also going to send out the restore/backup discs for free - w00t w00t! haha

Yeah I can lower the res, but it pops up a msg stating its not recommended, haha!

You must have the capabilities of a snake charmer!
Who ever heard of Dell giving something for free?
And since when is Dell giving usable advice that you can actually understand!
In Europe people get fobbed off with stupid Indian mumbo-jumbo that nobody can make sense of!

LCD screens prefer to run in their native resolution.Rather than change the res, just increase the Font and icon sizes.

RealBlackStuff said:
You must have the capabilities of a snake charmer!
Who ever heard of Dell giving something for free?
And since when is Dell giving usable advice that you can actually understand!
In Europe people get fobbed off with stupid Indian mumbo-jumbo that nobody can make sense of!

LOL!!

I always hang up until I get a suitable person! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back