laptop or computer?

• laptop is the one for me

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • desktop computers own laptops

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • i like both

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters
I bought a laptop similar to the performance of my computer, and i still ended up using the computer 95% of the time. I just like its vibe more i guess.

1. I'm assuming you're using the word "computer" in place of "desktop"? (A laptop is a computer too)
  2. If you like the mobility of a laptop but still want the full screen/keyboard/other peripherals when home (and without inserting/removing cables each time), do what i and lotsa people do. Just buy a docking station along with your laptop and you have the convenience of both

Yea i was in a hurry because i had to go somewhere,so i just wrote computer,anyway if someone says pc to me,i think of a desktop mostly and pc stands for personal computer,get me? I dont know what you think.

Absolutely, hands down I prefer a laptop. Certainly required if one will be mobile and wants their “desktop” on the road.

But when I’m home, I don’t “just” have my laptop. I snap my laptop into its docking station and now work off of a full size monitor / wireless keyboard and mouse, external backup hard drive, CD/DVD burner and every other peripheral one might have on their home desktop system. They're all just connected to the docking station. I quickly snap the laptop in and out of the docking station as needed.

Assess your priorities against your budget. A high performance, durable laptop will cost extra $$… Add in another $150 or so for docking station and monitor stand. Costs you more but sure is nice being able to take your computer and all your work, home and any other files with you on your hard drive when you’re out of the the house and want or need to have a computer available for business and/or personal use.. And when you're home, you have all the full sized peripherals you'd have on a desktop.

That's what works for me.

i prefer desktops because it's easier upgrading them and they're usually more reliable, they feel like it at least ;)

i wouldn't mind having a proper laptop for the odd bit of mobile computing but i wouldn't have a laptop as my main pc, you pay extra to have it small and their specs hardly ever match a proper desktop's

plus you can put cold cathodes and the such in desktops, like i've done ;)

Yes i think desktops are faster than laptops because the laptops cpu has to be smaller to make it portable and so its all crammed together and doesnt have much room, unlike a desktop. But thats what i think, after all im not a computer expert ;)

the centrino processors use up less power by running slower so you could say that desktops can run faster, because they run off the mains all the time and you can upgrade them to no end, really

Core 2 duo processors are good aren't they? My pc is an AMD one. But im getting in the habbit of using my dads laptop now. That has an intel processor.
How much ghz is your computer's processor?

Desktops are for me. I don't like laptop keyboards very much and like Daveskater said you have to pay extra for it being smaller, and specs are usually no where near as good as a desktops.

Desktop vs. laptop processors (and many of their other components) are fundamentally different by design.

Performance is the top priority when a desktop processor is designed.

Not so for laptops where its priorities are different. Generally, in the order of
  • Power consumption. Not much reason to be concerned with how often/how well a desktop will run when unplugged / on batteries
  • Reduced Space and Cooling. The laptop wants to keep getting smaller and smaller. Heat generation / dissipation is a big issue too when all your computer’s components are in such close proximity to one another. The chip designers have to account for the radically reduced amount of air space to allow cooling between components.
  • Durability. A desktop doesn’t have to survive anywhere near the same harsh environment / travels of a laptop.
  • Performance
While performance is still important for a laptop, it’s not the only important issue as is the case for the desktop. Other important criteria must be addressed in a laptop’s design and passed on in its price. That’s why if you are only comparing performance a desktop may appear to give more bang for your buck.

I prefer laptops for mobility reasons. At home I connect an external monitor and mouse, and use it as a desktop computer.
For gaming a desktop computer is faster, and laptops produce a lot of heat, but for work I find my laptop with a 15,4" screen and 1680x1050 screen resolution perfect. It also consumes less power.

I have to say laptop all the way.
I can sit on my sofa, bed just about anywhere and do my work.
To me that is better than being sat at a desk all day.

This is actually quite a controversial decision. I mean, the two are almost the same, but they are completey different. I love having my desktop around when I want to game hardcore, but I always end up using my laptop every where else. I do end up using my laptop more just because I'm out and about, but my desktop is just so much better. I had to say both for this one, but in reality, its not that great a comparison.

Back