Laptop panel display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Latitude CPx. It had crashed and I replaced the motherboard. P3 500 MHz WinXP Home. It has an ATI RageMI video controller and 14" panel. The image appears as if it is a 12" panel, anchored to the top left corner. The bottom of the panel begins a repeat of the screen and the right side stretches to the edge. This occurs as soon as the machine is powered up, including during the boot process. I have tried changing the display settings in Windows and it has not helped. I do not believe it is a Windows problem. This is not going to be a technically correct description, but it's the best I can do. It appears to me that the motherboard thinks it has a 12" panel and displays correctly for that size. Then the left over portion of the panel makes up an image that corresponds with what is being displayed. How do I make it realize it has a 14" panel?

Welcome to TechSpot..

Can you take a digital PC and post it here of what you have the issue with? If you can't then, you might have a bad LCD Panel as they do go bad.

Here's a few pictures during the boot process and after Windows is running.
laptop001.jpg

laptop002.jpg

laptop003.jpg

Just a note, this began a few weeks after the install of the motherboard. It worked correctly after the install for those few weeks.

I just finished going back over the connections to the motherboard. All connectors appear to be seated properly and correctly connected. I did a soft reset (battery out and holding power button for 60 seconds) and a hard reset (using a paper clip to press the recessed reset button). None of these has helped. I did notice that when the machine started to boot, it begins at a full screen for a flicker and then goes to the screen as pictured above.

AFAIK, on this model the screen size switches by jumpers on the MB. also, you should try to update your bios.

I have the latest BIOS available. I did try that. Are the jumpers soldered, or other? Any idea where they are on the board?

How about new drivers for the new board and/or graphics card?

Strange that it worked for a few weeks. I'm leaning towards a hardware problem :(

mecicted, so, i suspect, this is eeprom problem or LCD cable. eeprom problem means, that MB "don't understand such LCD-screen".

try to search for service manual for this laptop. in it, you'll find types of LCD screens which can be installed in this laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back