Laptop Password Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I was wondering if some may be able to help me. I recently puchased a Toshiba 490cdt laptop from an ebay auction. When I turn on the power I imediately am asked for a password against a black screen. I don't even think it is making it as far as the bios. Iread another thread last night and found some one had a similar problem w/ a dell laptop. Can anyone help me out?

jotramis said:
Hello all, I was wondering if some may be able to help me. I recently puchased a Toshiba 490cdt laptop from an ebay auction. When I turn on the power I imediately am asked for a password against a black screen. I don't even think it is making it as far as the bios. Iread another thread last night and found some one had a similar problem w/ a dell laptop. Can anyone help me out?
Did i ask something that has everyone stumpped?

Very likely you got shafted. Ask the guy who sold you the laptop and hope that he actually knows the password and you didn't buy a stolen lappy.

There is no way around that password unless you swap out the motherboard.

Nodsu

Ther ahs got to be a way around this. This cannot be the the only instance of a forgotton or lost password. And it is not like it is a super high end model- it's only a 233 Mhz w/ a 4.3 gig hard drive. I have read some things about makining a dongle out of a 25 pin parallel connector. Does anyone know if this will work?

Laptops are built to be theft-proof. There is no easy way to reset that password - most likely it will include special hardware and knowledge and disassembly of the machine. Your friendly local Toshiba service guy will do it for you for a sum of money I'm sure.
I would assume some questions will be asked and you might get into trouble with your stolen laptop though. (I am fairly certain that this is stolen goods you have there)

Nodsu

Well, It can't be all too hot since I just called Toshiba support and after giving them the serial #, they gave me the phone number and address of a factory authorized service center who can reset the password for me. I called but they were not open on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back