Laptop Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

Friend wants me to look at the laptop saying it doesn't work. Tells me that it has to have a cooler underneath because the fan went bad. I turn it on and nothing. Turn it on and off and I get the XP screen in full color than the monitor starts going goofy windows freezes and the screen goes black. I open it up and there is a large check of some sort of glue from last time it got repaired. The glue is on the cord connecting to the monitor. Most of the time when I turn it on the screen just stays black but it sounds like the hard drive is on. On the rare occasion I get a picture I try to go into the bios but the keyboard won't work. Whats the deal with this? Its a Compaq Presario x1000 it is not very old but has been full of problems.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but it`s an overheating problem.

The laptop fan that isn`t working, needs to be replaced.

It`s possible the heat has damaged some components.

Regards Howard :)

It has the usb cooling fan that i sit it on. I don't know what its called its just a silver tray with a couple of fans. If it is overheating wouldn't I be able to see the screen for at least two seconds?

It depends on whether there is any damage caused by the overheating.

You already said that you can see the screen occasionally.

Replace the broken fan and see if that helps.

Oh dear. Obviously there is damage to other components, whether caused by overheating or not.

Laptops can be tricky to fix at the best of times. It`s pointless me trying to guess what the problem might be.

Maybe you should advise your friend to take it in for repair.

It would seem that this laptop has had more than it`s share of problems. Take a look at these user reviews HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back