Laptop Problems When Starting Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone. i'm quite new here and i'll make a proper intro later but anyways i'll get to the point because this is quite urgent. =S
recently, my Acer Ferrari 3400 laptop has been playing up. normally, the laptop starts up like this:
Ferrari Screen with the Phoenix icon at the bottom (i think this is the motherboard)
windows loading screen (with the bars)
this is the problem now (sorry im not that good at describing):
when i press the power button, it would start up (normal sounds) but the screen remains black. if i press the power button again it would just shut down instantly. normally, i would have to hold down the button until it shuts down.
sometimes, if i was lucky, it would get to the Ferrari screen and then freeze. then i'd have to hold down the power button.
somtimes if im extremely lucky, i will be able start up, pass the screens, log in and it would work a while but it would then freeze. then, i'd have to hold down the start button. normally after this, i wont be able to get to the stage where im able to log in.
my laptop always starts up despite these problems. there are no weird sounds.
specs
ram: 1 gb
gpu: ATi Mobility Radeon 9700
cpu: AMD 3000+ mobility
hdd: 80 gb
im not sure if this might have caused the problem but before this happened, i stuck a flash drive in and began transferring things to it. then, the computer rebooted and the problem started occuring. i have stuck the flashdrive in before and i dont think it contains any viruses.
not too long ago, i sent the laptop to Acer and the motherboard was replaced so i guess the motherboard is quite new.
no BSODS or anything either. no error messages.

many thanks.

I had a problems with acer before and will never ever buy form them again.

The only way you are going to solve the problem is to reset the computer completly.

If the computer keeps playing up then its more that likely going to have to go back to acer for new parts.

Hope you get it sorted soon

PS..I was not able to put in a bios password so they replaced the keyboard....that didnt work so they replaced the harddrive......that didnt work so they replaced the motherboard as well...and finally it worked.....and i had already told them that the problem was with the motherboard and not the keyboard......but im still to this day wondering why they changed the harddrive.....all of this took the 3 months to get the laptop back to me and thats why i wont buy an acer

Maybe you've switch the display mode to the external monitor? try holding the Fn key and look for one that says "LCD/EXT" or something to do with displays..

have you tried to call up Acer?

i havent called up Acer, but will if i cant get things solved.
i have tried swithcing the display mode. and nope, that isnt the problem.
thanks for the suggestions. i might really have to send the laptop back..

FrozenTw, you have the exact same problems as I do. My warranty has run out, as usual, a few months a go, so if you get your machine fixed at acer or anywhere else, please tell what they changed so i might have an idea what it would cost to fix this. Acer told me, after I explained the symptoms, that the motherboard is broken and that for ferrari 3400 it would cost over 500 euros to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back