laptop running slow after AVG uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl hogarth

Hi,
I recently installed AVG AS on my girlfriends laptop only to find the system running slow. She already had Norton installed on it. I uninstalled AVG only to find it still slow. I system restored it to find it better still slow, and now Norton wouldn't auto update. I dowloaded the Norton uninstaller , uninstalled it and reinstalled Norton again. It updates OK but the computer is still very slow to start up and the hard disk seems to take ages to settle down after startup, as well as running slow. I also during this time in stalled iTunes for her which has completely rearranged her music collection. I had to take all her music off ther hard drive a defrag 4 times to sort out the HD. It's still slow. any ideas ? She's well pissed off with me.

I have uninstalled Norton and installed AVG free and scanned with no infections found.
I tried to install Kerio but i got error 28201 the VPN driver could not be installed.
I ran Hijackthis. The log is attached
Thank you

Your HJT log is clean.

Redownload Kerio and try the install again. If you still have problems, try one of the other free firewall programmes I linked.

Regards Howard :)

I take it you read the thread about speeding up your system?

If so and it`s still slow, it`s possible a reformat and reinstall would solve it. When was the last time you did that? If that doesn`t help, then a hard drive problem could be a possibility.

I ran Adaware and avgas and Spybot to start with, it's just weird that the problems started after i uninstalled avgas, then I system restored hoping to solve the slowness. Is it possible the registry is messed up ?

Yes, it`s entirely possible the registry is corrupted in some way.

I know it`s probably not something you want to do, but a reformat and reinstall may be the best way to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back