Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

Below is what I am looking for....

Something with FAST bootup time
WIFI
Web access
FTP Capable
Text Editor Capable of saving files in mulitple extentions (.php, .txt, .htm)

So I was looking at the Windows PDAs, do they have...

WIFI
Web browser
text editor that can save in multiple formats
FTP software?

But then I was lookping at laptops....

Is their a laptop that has a FAST boot-up, (under 30 seconds from cold boot)
Runs XP or another stable OS
WIFI
has a kinda small size (body and screen)
Is very durable, can tolerate being tossed arround with out body breakage or hard drive crash.

Are their products that can do that?

Thanks!

--Daniel L

The distinction between ultramobiles and PDAs is rather blurry..

Keep in mind with a PDA:
- you want a huge one (in a PDA sense) with a proper keyboard and screen if you intend to do any text editing that involves more than 20 characters.
- it is hard to find free software for these things and the selection is limited anyway
- in-device storage is rather limited and you would probaby have to invest in an additional storage device (the PDA would have to support memory cards or USB storage)
- wifi may need an additional card - make sure you don't conflict with the previous point

For laptops:
- since you are comparing with PDAs, you probably want an ultramobile
- it's getting harder and harder to find anything with XP
- 30 seconds bootup is pretty much impossible unless you intend to keep the system virgin (no antivirus, firewall or any other resident software). One can always use sleep modes instead of poweroff of course.
- make sure you can fit at least 512 megs of RAM in there

IF what you list in your post are "THE" most important things to you. Then I'd go with a PDA. I can tell you from experience that I would stay away from the HP PDA's. Have had numerous problems with them from several different models. Other's in my office had very similiar if not the same issues. We ended up switching to Dell PDA's. And I can honestly say that the Dell PDA's have really stood up with no issues!

This is what I have now.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Dell Axim X51v PDA:1993295121:page=user-reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back