Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

I'm looking at a HP Laptop w/ a AMD processor. The only choices I see are:
HP
Compaq
E-Machines
Avertec (sp?)
I REALLY don't want a Wintel model UNLESS someone can come up with a very valid reason(s) that the mobile AMD's are either problem prone or something along those lines. I don't want to get into a AMD vs Wintel discussion here.

I understand that AMD has had a long history of having a higher current draw and running hotter (goes hand in hand). I can probably live with that since I don't travel and this isn't for any business purposes.

I was just concerned since AMD is the newer player to the mobile market if there was any indication of outstanding problems.

Office Depot has a HP zv5000z series with $300 in rebates for the next couple of days that you configure at the store and they ship it to you (you pay shipping).

Input? Thanks...............

I have a hp ze4500 with a xp2500+m cpu and have had no problems with overheat or instability in general. XP-m's have "power now" so that they run at lower clock speeds when not being used heavily, this reduces power consumption greatly. From my experience, I think I could watch a full length movie and still have anywhere from 30-60 minutes left on battery. I guess my point is that AMD is definately a solid choice for a mobile processor. And it won't cost you your first born like a centrino either!

Is it for multimedia / gaming purposes then?

If it's for just light use, don't forget Transmeta and VIA, who also make CPUs suitable for laptops (Transmeta Crusoe / GigaPro, VIA Antaur / Nehemiah).

did i mention that im playing the WoW stress test beta with my laptop... well i am and it runs quite nicely (with the settings down of course). multimedia-wise I use WMP 10 and its is very nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back