Laptop with a mind of its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hello everyone,

Yeah your probably like what?

Anyways I have a Dell notebook that powers itself own when it wants. It did this like 4 times now, now I have to take out the battery and unplug the A/C cord when i'm done using it. Its n inspiron B 120 1.40GHz cel mobile cpu, 512mb ram, 40 gb hd, not sure what kind of motherboard its all factory, 128mb intergrated intel chipset graphics, yeah its a low end system I only use it for internet so its pretty good for me. Anyways its just scary it powers on all by its self when its off out of no where

Does anybody have a clue to what it is, I dont on this one
Thanks for reading

What operating system? XP? Go into Screen Saver, Power and look at the settings there. There may also be a "power" control panel option too. have you looked at the computers bios settings for power?

Check the settings for Wake-On-LAN and Wake-On-Modem.
It's probably the latter, that switches it on when a phone call comes in.

As realblackstuff pointed out, it could be your laptop waking up due to lan/modem. To check this go to network connections and right click properties on your connection, should be in options somewhere.

Regards,

Korrupt

Nope its not it, I dont have dial up and I dont use LAN I use a wireless card

Thanks anyways

And yes its windows xp and no I didnt think of looking in the Bios but I had this laptop for almost a year now and it just started 2 weeks ago

thanks for your help

Ok I looked itno the power area under screensavers and I dont see anything that would give a clue to what is happen

thanks for the help

Does it power on in all these conditions:
1) Battery in and AC on
2) Battery in, no AC
3) No battery, AC on
If 1 and/or 3, check your power outlet, as well as proper contacts between wallsocket/adapter, and adapter/laptop. Try it in another room.

Dell recently had a battery recall, check if this applies to your battery.

Ok, It turns inself on when the battery is in and the a/c cord is pluged in but I dont think it turned on when it was on just the battery I will check tonigh and it only like turns itsself on at 10 seconds before 12:01am everytime. Also I dont know about no batery just a/c. Also the batttery isnt recalled.

Thank you very much for your help and by the way it didnt start turning itself on until a Dell tech came out and put a new motherboard in. Well really the 3rd one becuase they out one in one firday then the mouse wouldnt work right so they put a another one in on monday. So could it be a bad motherboard?

Thank you very much

You need to check all programs that have an automatic "update".
Maybe that Dell guy installed a Diagnostics program that auto-connects to Dell at midnight/noon.
Click Start/Run and type "msconfig" without quotes and hit Enter.
Check all the startup programs, report any here that you don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back