Laptop won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I really hope any of you can help.
Here's the deal: I was using my laptop normally and suddenly it turned off. I was watching a video and right in the middle of it the laptop stopped working. I tried to turn it on again and it wouldn't. I tried changing the battery (my boyfriend has the same laptop), using another power cord, and changing outlets. One thing I did notice is that the AC light doesn't turn on when I connect it to the outlet. It doesn't work with any of the cords. What can you say?? I have an HP Pavilion dv6458se.

Considering the fact that it was working fine and now you can't even get LED's to come on, sound's to me like either:

1. The laptop's PSU is shot.
  2. The laptop's motherboard is shot.

Either way you'll have to contact HP for replacement or repair. I hope it is under warranty :(.

If it isn't covered you can bring it by a PC repair shop and see if they can do anything for you, but it's probably going to be costly...

joytime360: Nollie tried her boyfriends power and battery and still nothing. There could have easily been a power surge that could have damaged the motherboard. Could be repairable; maybe not. That is what it sounds like to me from the details given.

Nollie: Was it plugged into a surge protector?
I looked up your computer at HP. Check this link. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&dlc=en&product=3439481&rule=45411&lang=en
You never know. Crazier things can happen??!!

more to the point, the motherboard also is where the power circuits is usually held most of the time, therefore if that's shot, then there goes your laptop.

i'd second the motion to get the laptop repaired under warranty if possible..

Why it has something to do with the mobo??

Their system isn't getting any power at all after trying multiple batteries, adapters and outlets. The only two components that are generally responsible for that are the PSU and motherboard.

The PSU obviously provides a direct current to the system, and if it's not working properly or at all, expect your system to be partially dead if not totally dead.

The motherboard is responsible for bringing the entire system together. It is the middle-man between the PSU and every other component in the system. Initial stages of the boot up process:

1. User switches on electrical power to the system. (If the motherboard is shot the next step cannot occur because the signal won't be sent to the PSU as far as I know).
  2. The PSU performs a POST. When all voltages and current levels are acceptable, the PSU indicates that the power is stable and sends the Power_Good signal to the motherboard. The time from switch-on to Power_Good is normally between .1 and .5 seconds.
  3. The microprocessor timer chip receives the Power_Good signal, which causes it to stop generating a reset signal to the microprocessor.

The laptop wasn´t connected to a power surge protector... But I did find an article on the HP website about some of the dv6000 series having the same problem mine does. They´re checking them and repairing them for free. Thanks for the help anyway!

nollie, this is MB problem. the problem is with two input mosfets near AC connector. if you have soldering equipment and volt-meter, you can replace it yourself(if you could find equal mosfets).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back