laptops and graphics -- PC card slots, docking stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, everyone.

i have just begun delving into the realm of laptop graphics cards (trying to play GTA:SA, in addition to getting greedy now that the seed's been planted :slurp: ). i've picked up some bits around here that i want to pick your brains about... i have a toshiba satellite (p25-s507) with a GeForce FX Go5200, 32mb video card. i understand there's no way to upgrade this within the notebook, but I'm wondering about two things: docking stations and PC card slots. can i "upgrade" my video card through either of these? i know docking stations can support printers, extra monitors, etc... can they support a different graphics card, so i can switch over when my comp's docked? or this fancy-shmancy PC slot that everyone told me i could "upgrade later" with but haven't used yet... can a video card go in that slot?!

my apologies if this is complete newb-babble, hehe. thanks for any help!

I don't think there's any way to get it upgraded. The only way is to buy a laptop with a fast gpu to start with, which isn't too easy.

A side note: There are usb 2.0 graphics cards to add a second monitor to some pc's, but they are likely much slower than your 5200. I think the company is called triton IIRC, they used to have them at newegg, not sure if they still do.

hey guys i have reccently bought the game world of warcraft and my graphics card is not good enough i was just wondering if there is anyway to get a better graphics card for my laptop it is a travelmate 4064WLWMi and a intel grahpics acceltorator 900 please help

Like it has been mentioned in other threads, for most laptops you are limited to what they come with. There are a few of the more expensive laptops that you can change the g card on and they are usually running on a PCIe slot. USB 2.0 card would be incredibly slow due to the low bandwidth and docking stations are out of the question.

Probably not. Laptops with changeable gpus are pretty rare, which is one of the downfalls of gaming on a laptop (which I do right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back