Large game files stay fragmented

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

Ok, this drives me absolutely crazy.

Any game that has files larger than about 700MB want to get fragmented. In Steam games it is the .gcf files, and in Oblivion it is the model and texture and sound files.

They just will not defragment. I have tried the Windows defragger, and diskeeper 7.0 lite and its still fragmented.

Is there a way to fix it?

Also, I have tried taking the .GCF files from another persons computer on a flash drive, and it STILL stayed fragmented.

I am thinking it may be because my hard drive is a slow writer, but IDK because my hard drive is a little 34 gig Dell factory hard drive.

Single large files, cannot be defragmented, ie the file is intact (one file)

Defragmenter, basically puts all these single files properly together.
But if the file is very large (as in most new games) then that single file will stay fragmented.

I just read this back over to myself, and I'm confused !
Can you understand what I'm saying

Yes, but why? Does it effect anything?

I thought it actually pushed the parts of a file closer together....

I don't know, but I wish I could fix it. This is one of the reasons I keep CS:S off of my computer, along with my slow connection and steam messing everything up.

Ehh... I don't really wanna go through all that, Mictlantecuhtli, would it work if I put it on a flash drive and defragmented it?

What Mictlantecuhtli meant was move the file temporarily off the partition that you are trying to defrag, to anywhere.

Complete a full defrag

Then move the file back to the same folder it came from

Complete a full defrag

All done

Ohh, ok.. Will try that.
Also, Paradox, it took that defragmenter about 45 minutes to finish.....lol
It moved A LOT of morrowind files. :p

Ok, Mictlantecuhtli's advice worked perfectly, though I wouldn't have figured it out if you hadn't explained it a little more simply.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back