LastPass is rushing to fix newly discovered browser extension vulnerability

Jos

Staff

LastPass, a popular cross-platform password with more than 8 million users, has warned of a "unique and highly sophisticated" problem within its system and is advising users to launch sites directly from the LastPass vault instead of the browser extension.

The problem was discovered by Tavis Ormandy of Google’s Zero Day Project who is working with the company on a fix. The same researched had previously found another vulnerability that could have allowed attacked to stream users' passwords by accessing privileged LastPass system commands — the company said it had not seen any evidence of the issue being used by hackers.

According to Ormandy, the new flaw affects the latest version of the LastPass browser extension for all major browsers on Windows and Linux; macOS was not tested at the time of the announcement but he believes the exploit likely works there too. Neither Ormandy nor LastPass are sharing much information just yet: “This attack is unique and highly sophisticated. We don’t want to disclose anything specific about the vulnerability or our fix that could reveal anything to less sophisticated but nefarious parties. So you can expect a more detailed post mortem once this work is complete.”

Ormandy did say that it is “a major architectural problem” that could take a while to fix. Google’s Project Zero has a strict 90-day disclosure policy for making a vulnerability public.

Aside from avoiding the LastPass browser extension in favor of the LastPass vault, users are advised to enable two-factor authentication on sites that offer it, and remain vigilant of phishing attempts.

Permalink to story.

I'd just like to point out... LastPass is still safer by far than writing down all your passwords, using all the same password, or putting all passwords in one place like an excel spreadsheet all of which I (as an IT tech) have seen soooooooo many times. I hope they fix this but it does not really worry me.

Were you planning to say something eventually?

Triggered? or serious?

I'll assume the latter. It was a simple fill-in-the-blanks, rhetorical proposition.
But let me help you out. No probs.
Ever watch the videos of the overview and tests - propagated by LP - to show how rock solid their product is (was)?

OK ... so here's the fill-in-the-blank assistance.

Everything is hack-able, everything is vulnerable.

Triggered? or serious?

I'll assume the latter. It was a simple fill-in-the-blanks, rhetorical proposition.
But let me help you out. No probs.
Ever watch the videos of the overview and tests - propagated by LP - to show how rock solid their product is (was)?

OK ... so here's the fill-in-the-blank assistance.

Everything is hack-able, everything is vulnerable.
Triggered? Is that the new "It" word, like "haters" was in 2016?

Thank you for filling in your blanks for me. Sadly, I was hoping they were going to be less banal. It was worth a shot, anyway.

I still use lastpass...at least they FIX any problems discovered...BEFORE they become a threat.

Back