Launcher.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJay420

Spybot S&D's startup manager has highlighted launcher.exe in red meaning its harmful. But when I Google it some say to leave it and some say to remove it. Some even say that it helped solve the startup hang in Vista. It comes packaged in HP's and I would like to remove if it's safe. Just wanna hear what my most trusted source (TechSpot :grinthumb) has to say about this.

It's hard to say without seeing a hijackthis log. The reason is because there are a lot of executables named that, some fine, others malware related.

probably why you got mixed results in your search.

If you want I will look at it in your log

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete please attach your log onto the forums using the paper clip icon above your reply.
    ***Under no circumstances should you add any items to the HJT ignore list. Under no circumstances should you change the directory that highjackthis downloads to. Under no circumstances should you Fix anything without specific instruction to do so. Under no circumstances should you click any buttons other that specified in the directions including AnalyzeThis!***

I believe it's the one from HP's Soft Thinks software because its in the SMINST directory, but thanx for letting me know that there's more than one, here's the log...

It's safe. Related to PC_Angel PC Angel recovery program from SoftThinks. Note: Located in \%WINDIR%\SMINST\

http://www.softthinks.com/us/

And just FYI if you are interested Java 6 update 4 is available which is supposed to be more secure.

Update your Java Runtime Environment
  • Click the following link
    Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 4
  • The 4th option down is the one you want
  • After the download locate and double click the installer jre-6u4-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe
  • Go to Start-> Control Panel-> add/remove programs (Programs and features), and uninstall any old versions in your case Java 6 Update 3

Im kind of curious as to why a anti-spyware would detect this as harmful, any insight? ...Thanx for the heads up on java, dont know why it didnt update itself.

If you update through your computer it will say that update 3 is the latest version. However, all of the malware experts are recommending update 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back