Leaked benchmarks show the iPhone 12 could outperform every Android phone

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: The latest iPhones have long been ahead of new Android devices when it comes to sheer processing power, thanks to the company’s A-series chips, and it appears that the upcoming iPhone 12 will pull even further away from the current Android leader—Samsung’s Galaxy S20 Ultra.

The A13 Bionic processor in last years trio of iPhone 11s is faster than the Snapdragon 865 inside Samsung’s recent flagship—though the S20 Ultra has much more RAM—but the A14 Bionic chip in the iPhone 12 will be even faster, putting it on the same level as the latest iPad Pro.

The news comes from leaked Geekbench CPU benchmarks found on Chinese microblogging site Weibo by the Chinese publication ITHome, (via GizChina). It shows the A14 Bionic chip with a single-core score of 1,658 and a multi-core of 4,612. For comparison, the Galaxy S20 Ultra scores 805 on single-core and 3,076.7 on multi-core, meaning the iPhone 12 will have more than double the single-core performance of its rival.

The entry also shows the A14 Bionic running at almost 3.1 GHz. According to rumors, it will be built by TSMC using the 5-nanometer process. It’s also speculated that the iPhone 12 will come with a high refresh rate screen, either 90Hz or 120Hz.

With most of 2020’s Android flagships featuring the Snapdragon 865, the next iPhone will again be way ahead of the competition when it comes to processing performance—but that won’t automatically make it a better phone, of course. Design, software, cameras, RAM, storage, price, and plenty of other factors have to be considered, too, though Apple will be ahead when it comes to handling resource-intensive tasks.

Permalink to story.

TBH I am to old to care for benchmarks, when we have too many real scenarious, where a device with bigger number loses to a device with lower one on different OS.
Not to even mention cheating in benchmarks.

Can't wait for new iPad Pros, yet I am aware OS will be the limit as it's always has been.

The reason why people are not upgrading their phones nearly as regularly as they were 10 years ago is because each new generation is no longer a practically significant leap over the previous, despite the skyrocketing prices.

Phones have reached a point where even midrange models are snappy and more than fast enough for the vast majority of the market. Android has been a resounding success at modest price levels. The flagships aren't as attractive as they used to be.

I recently watched a video where iPhone 7 goes head to head against an iPhone 11 and there's generally no difference when opening apps. Even when they were relaunching apps from recents iPhone 7 with just 2GB of RAM still managed to keep every app in memory. Having more performance won't make the phone stand out even against 2-3 year old flagships.

Is anyone surprised? The iPhone’s CPU has always crushed the Android equivalent... usually, even the previous iPhone’s cpu beats the current Android...

I mean, latest hardware that hasn't been released yet beating current available hardware isn't too impressive.

The reason why people are not upgrading their phones nearly as regularly as they were 10 years ago is because each new generation is no longer a practically significant leap over the previous, despite the skyrocketing prices.

Phones have reached a point where even midrange models are snappy and more than fast enough for the vast majority of the market. Android has been a resounding success at modest price levels. The flagships aren't as attractive as they used to be.
Agreed. I bought my first Xiaomi phone, the Mi 9 Lite for $320cdn, and I can't think of any phone I paid more for that was better than this.

Is anyone surprised? The iPhone’s CPU has always crushed the Android equivalent... usually, even the previous iPhone’s cpu beats the current Android...
If you have a short memory.
Up until the iPhone 4 or 5, equivalent Android phones had better performance and specs for far less money, it wasn't till around that time Apple got on their horse from a performance standpoint. Even when they caught up Apple phones still had inferior displays, which in the last year or two they finally updated, and they always have had less features, like VR capability and wireless charging.
They also break easy and the numbers are off the charts for iPhone repairs.

TBH I am to old to care for benchmarks, when we have too many real scenarious, where a device with bigger number loses to a device with lower one on different OS.
Not to even mention cheating in benchmarks.

Can't wait for new iPad Pros, yet I am aware OS will be the limit as it's always has been.
No one is talking about Samsung and others caught cheating in benchmarks here

I recently watched a video where iPhone 7 goes head to head against an iPhone 11 and there's generally no difference when opening apps. Even when they were relaunching apps from recents iPhone 7 with just 2GB of RAM still managed to keep every app in memory. Having more performance won't make the phone stand out even against 2-3 year old flagships.

Well if opening apps is all your concerned about. Score! But for a lot of other uses, speed does count. Oh, and BTW, opening and restoring apps is what iOS does very, very well, so no surprise here. What you are surprised by your video? You shouldn't be

If you have a short memory.
Up until the iPhone 4 or 5, equivalent Android phones had better performance and specs for far less money, it wasn't till around that time Apple got on their horse from a performance standpoint. Even when they caught up Apple phones still had inferior displays, which in the last year or two they finally updated, and they always have had less features, like VR capability and wireless charging.
They also break easy and the numbers are off the charts for iPhone repairs.
no, you are just wrong. Your comparison is only true if you had looked at this year's android to last years iPhone. There were some graphics only benchmarks, like Antutu, which scored android's higher, but no one really knew what that even measured, except graphics over and over again.

Well if opening apps is all your concerned about. Score! But for a lot of other uses, speed does count. Oh, and BTW, opening and restoring apps is what iOS does very, very well, so no surprise here. What you are surprised by your video? You shouldn't be
Talking about speed looks like you did some before writing this comment. If we take the speed of opening apps away what speed is there to compare?
What you are surprised by your video? You shouldn't be
iPhone 7 with 2GB of RAM performing almost exactly the same as an iPhone 11. That's what I'm surprised by cause I don't see it often.

no, you are just wrong. Your comparison is only true if you had looked at this year's android to last years iPhone.
Who's comment are you responding to?
Nothing you said addresses or even acknowledges my post.
My comment about iPhone's having inferior performance compared to an equal Android phone up until the iPhone 4 or 5 is not arguable, its what happened.

IMO the only good improving phone SoCs does at this point is so that one day we can hopefully get AR devices in a good form factor with a decent amount of power.

To be honest current high end phones are fast enough.

Using an Galaxy S10 with a 855 snapdragon and the phone flies at everything I throw at it.

What I want to see is improved battery life the rest is just gravy.

Another useless benchmark. These tests are always done on a brand new phone without very many practical apps installed. Give one to an active teen for a month and then do the benchmark. It will be slower than snails

I think the real noticeable difference lies within apps that perform / process something.

One example is an app called Prisma Photo Editor that I use occasionally. The difference between an older phone and one generation newer one was about 3 - 4 x faster in processing speed.

This is really good to see. Better performance now means the phone ought to last for longer time.

3.1 Ghz Processor Frequency & 120 Mhz Refresh Rate, Apple better build a nuclear power plant in their phone or else, how are they going to juice this monstrosity?

To be honest current high end phones are fast enough.

Using an Galaxy S10 with a 855 snapdragon and the phone flies at everything I throw at it.

What I want to see is improved battery life the rest is just gravy.
Waiting for Samsung to improve battery life is futile. Do yourself a favour and shop around for something not so mainstream.

My 4030mAh battery and lack of bloat consistently lasts 2 days with 10-13 hour screen on time per charge. And that is more important to most than speed.

Waiting for Samsung to improve battery life is futile. Do yourself a favour and shop around for something not so mainstream.

My 4030mAh battery and lack of bloat consistently lasts 2 days with 10-13 hour screen on time per charge. And that is more important to most than speed.

Actually they did just that the S20 has a 4000mah battery compared to the S10's 3400mah battery. What I want though is a phone that will last 5 days. No point shopping around I already own the phone it wasn't a question about what to buy.

I'm removed most of the bloat from the S10 already and I can already do two days on my phone off a single charge. Having it quick charge also helps I can go to 80% in 35mins.

It's got better, but NO BRAND is exempt from depreciating battery performance.

Samsung has a service that you can replace batteries even on models with sealed ones so that isn't as much a problem on this brand.

Back