Learning to help

momok

I'd like to be able to help out on the forums, especially the Malware section. However I feel my knowledge on malware solutions is not enough. Often times I have came across some posts where I felt I could possibly give a little advice, but was afraid I might provide insufficient or wrong advice!

May I ask how do you actually know when you are upto it to post advice, and how to get better at such things? I can't help but feel a little 'noob' although I have personally fixed quite a few problems before on my own computer and some friends' and girlfriend's computers.

<edit>
(I thought it'd be great if there were more people from diverse regions around the world so that we possibly improve the reply timings for help posts in the forum.)

There are vacancies in Minidumps,USB devices,and Networks.

Learn yourelf those.:grinthumb

This Techspot is in English (there is a Spanish Techspot) so the bias

is heavily towards America,Canada and Britain.There`s nothing to stop

anybody in the world joining in,if they can write and read a bit of English.

What are minidumps?

I know more on malware, so its easier to start there rather than something I do not know from scratch. :p

Where do you suggest I can learn?

Hey, I didn't know anything about malware before, I still don't know that much, but how did I learn what I do know? Try reading over the stuff that Howard posts there, and look at the HijackThis logs to see why he said that. A lot of it just comes with looking, and then maybe trying; Howard will correct you if necessary; that's what he has to do to me sometimes :eek:

Minidumps, as spoken about on TechSpot, are things that Windows leaves behind when it crashes. They help you determine why it crashed. Some other programs, like my Kerio Personal Firewall, also leave minidumps.

It`s really great that you want to help out and I applaud you for it.

However, I must caution you, that giving the wrong advice, particularly in the security and the Web forum, can cause someone to crash their system and lose valuable data. So, unless you know for a fact the advice you`re giving is correct, don`t do it.

The way I learned to do HJT logs, was by looking at various HJT threads and working out why various advice had been given. Yahoo and Google search engines are invaluable in working out whether something is good or bad. However, once you know something is bad, the trick is in knowing the correct technique for getting rid of it.

Simply fixing an entry in HJT won`t necessarily solve the problem and can make the situation a whole lot worse. You`ll also need to learn how to use a multitude of different antispyware tools etc. Each tool has specific uses for getting rid of certain infections.

I`m definitely not trying to put you off, but you do need to be aware of the possible consequences of giving wrong advice. If you`re not sure about something, then please ask.

There`s not very many members here who do HJT logs. kitty500cat is certainly one member who seems to have grasped the idea and is doing a grand job.

Regards Howard :)

Back