Let's talk about Game Repair HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to this site and thought it would be neat to start a game repair thread. If this is the wrong forum or this thread has already been started, just beat me with a 4.5mm gamebit. (haha, a little game repair joke there, you see it was a 4.5mm gameb....uh, do I hear crickets?)

Anyway to kick it off here are some things I want to know. Everyone jump in the water is warm! (that wasn't a game joke btw, just in case you didn't know...oh I give up)

I am repairing just about everything under the sun; comps, game systems, games themselves, accesories, yadda yadda belch.

Right now I am having fits over ps2s, xboxs, and gamecubes.

My first topic is the laser assemblies and/or drives. Where can you acquire these things cheaply? Or if anyone out there has some broken systems or parts to sale let me know.(I hope its ok to discuss that on here, if not let me know, and beat me with a 3.8mm gamebit, ok I know, it's getting old, even the crickets didn't chirp).

I ask about the lasers because they seem to be the number one thing to go. Oh sure you have the occasional broken fan or broken control port or stuck power button or dead rat stuck between the gears(I know we've all had those, don't lie), but I wanna know how to fix the laser readers or at least how to get some cheap if I have to buy them. Do you guys even suggest buying them?

Here are some of the symptoms and the solutions I have tried.

Ex1. Symptom: Gamecube runs for a few minutes just fine, then quits spinning and says cannot read disk, read some god forsaken nintendo manual or another.
Attempted: To curse at it, no effect. To clean the laser reader, no affect(still runs for a few minutes then kaput). Got out my sledgehammer, it tried to turn the disk once in fear then wet itself. So basically cleaning the laser did no good. Does anyone know what is the problem? Motor? Gears? Laser? Cooling? Huh? Wha?

Ex2. Symptom: Xbox will play, but loads very slowly. Will sometimes give cannot read disk error. I was testing Ghost recon on it and it would slow down whenever you would go to the screen to pick your team. Everytime you tried to go to a different soldier it would hesitate before loading, sometimes even locking up and then saying cannot read disk. I have hopes for it, but cleaning the laser did not fix it.

EX3. PS2: Will not play one or the other of PS2 game, PS1 game, DVD, music.
I have several that act this way. I have tried adjusting the laser reader level to very minor success. Are the lasers not good anymore?

Anyway that's it for the first post. I suggest anyone respond or throw in your own repair question. I'll give all my best advice as I am sure everyone else will.

And NO, cleaning the laser reader isn't the only advice I have. I am going to try a radical new method of throwing frustrating projects down the sidewalk, calling them bums, and telling them to get jobs. Maybe it will damage their self esteem enough that they start working and ask to be let back in the house.

Please anyone who can tell me how to fix these problems myself or find replacement parts at a reasonable price...HELP!

I have ton more questions and demands, I mean, uh, concerns. Will post them later!

Edit: Removed the selling bit, as we don`t do that here. ;)

Thanks!

Hey thanks I need all the help I can get! Well I still have my intial questions about the laser readers and such to be answered. I am having some success repairing game systems, but when the laser isn't working it can be hard to salvage the project.

Im not very good at console repairs but Im good at building computers and stuff, I do like to mod the Xbox controllers to switch out the default trigger with a paintball trigger or something :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back