Lexmark X73 no color with new cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched Google and all over for solutions to getting the color to print on my X73 printer using a new Lexmark 20 color cartridge but no one seems to know. This is a new cartridge so the ink flows -- I double checked with a cleaning wipe. The black 70 cartridge works just fine. I upgraded the driver from Lexmark this week but saw no changes in software appearance or printing. The control program version is Lexmark 1.0.17.2 (non-LCS), I have Windows XP Home (you do get the unsigned driver warning when installing the printer). I've had this printer for 4-5 years -- at one time the color not printing was due to the drying-up and clogging, so I bought a refillable one with 3 injections for color. That worked for some time until that clogged up too. I can understand clogging/drying problems if the cartridge sat aorund for months unused -- but the one I bought recently is new $32 from Walmart - right off the silver wrapper (I did remove the protective tape) and it does'nt work!

This got to be a code version issue or a hardware malfuntion. Are there any Lexmark X73 diagnostic tools to see if the PC communicates with the color cartridge etc??

clean and/or replace the print head.

if your head is separate from the ink well, you can try soaking it in alcohol overnight.

Lexmark printers use carts with print heads built in - if a new one does not work out of the box, don't bother with it and replace it. It is not worth messing about with them. Honestly!

ujd100 said:
I have searched Google and all over for solutions to getting the color to print on my X73 printer using a new Lexmark 20 color cartridge but no one seems to know. This is a new cartridge so the ink flows -- I double checked with a cleaning wipe. The black 70 cartridge works just fine. I upgraded the driver from Lexmark this week but saw no changes in software appearance or printing. The control program version is Lexmark 1.0.17.2 (non-LCS), I have Windows XP Home (you do get the unsigned driver warning when installing the printer). I've had this printer for 4-5 years -- at one time the color not printing was due to the drying-up and clogging, so I bought a refillable one with 3 injections for color. That worked for some time until that clogged up too. I can understand clogging/drying problems if the cartridge sat aorund for months unused -- but the one I bought recently is new $32 from Walmart - right off the silver wrapper (I did remove the protective tape) and it does'nt work!

This got to be a code version issue or a hardware malfuntion. Are there any Lexmark X73 diagnostic tools to see if the PC communicates with the color cartridge etc??

These X series don't last so long as you see.. If that's a new cart and it still doing it you would have to look inside to see if it's clogged again or something happen when you one of those self-refilling carts they do mess up the ink jets. My advise and this is comng from someone who use to repair printers is to get rid of this printer and just buy a new one. I know people who won't by a new ink color/bw carts they just buy new printers. Next time the best thing to do is keep the new carts in the refreg.

Take it back to Walmart and tell them it was DOA. They should replace it for you - if it doesn't work it has not cost you any more and proves the printer has gone to meet the great choir invisible!

He said he has it 4-5 years.. I was just at walmart myself they have another x series all-in-one for $25 bucks I thought about and said nah..

New printer

Thanks for the responses. Lexmark support emailed me saying the contacts are gone and hence not firing the ink. They offered a 20% discount on a new one.

I have the same delimma as tipster-- a new square looking Lexmark all-in-one starts about $59 but not to do it again. The new carts are more reasonable at $20.

COmpare this with my HP Laserjet 5L 600dpi b/w printer --still great after 11 years, the OEM toner carts are high but I can get a refurbed one for $20.

Only wish there was a good all-in-one color printer out there...

ujd100 said:
Only wish there was a good all-in-one color printer out there...

There is, Canon.

I have a Canon mp360 that I`ve had for a few years. I`ve used it extensively for printing photographs and have never had a problem.

Although the mp360 has now been updated, I`m of the opinion that Canon produce very good printers/all in ones.

Regards Howard :)

Edit: I forgot to add.

Lexmark make exceedingly good door stops lol.

On colour lasers, I have a minolta 2300DL with duplexer which I have had for 4 years + and although it does not work too hard it has never put a foot wrong. Toners are not too much but then I get them through the trade. I have also sold and set up several of these and no problem with any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back