LG commissions Jason Statham to star in this weird commercial for the LG G5 and Friends

Shawn Knight

Staff member

LG on Friday published a minute-long commercial spot on YouTube for its new LG G5 smartphone. The wacky clip features actor Jason Statham using the phone’s various accessories, dubbed Friends.

Those familiar with the phone and its accessories won’t have much trouble processing the point of the clip but for the uninitiated, it’s kind of a mess. The problem is that it doesn’t really convey what the accessories are or what they do. In contrast, Samsung’s recent spots featuring rapper Lil Wayne and actor Wesley Snipes do a much better job of getting their message across.

It’s also a bit misleading as it illustrates that modules can be swapped without turning the phone off (granted, there is a small disclaimer at the beginning of the video stating the phone does indeed have to be powered down to swap modules).

LG said the commercial will be shown in key markets around the globe including North America, Latin America, Europe and East Asia starting today.

Oh, and if you are curious, the background music is a remix of the song "Ievan Polkka" from Loituma.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

The problem is that it doesn’t really convey what the accessories are or what they do. In contrast, Samsung’s recent spots featuring rapper Lil Wayne and actor Wesley Snipes do a much better job of getting their message across.

Way to sneak in a Samsung plug - you even included a link to a Galaxy' commercial. ;)

Vague commercials aren't anything new - they're intended to draw people in and get them curious. I thought it was pretty funny and definitely entertaining to watch. The mask that exactly matched his face was the best, lol.

I'm sorry, the greatest part of that advert was the use of Hatsune Miku. Haven't heard Levan Polka in ages!

I've never even heard of any of these chumps, ever.
Cool Story Bro.

I swear half your comments on Techspot are you not recognising stuff :p

To be fair, Hatsune Miku is a Japanese Animated Pop Star. Or a "vocaloid" as they are also known. Not as popular outside of Japan.

Cool Story Bro.

I swear half your comments on Techspot are you not recognising stuff :p

To be fair, Hatsune Miku is a Japanese Animated Pop Star. Or a "vocaloid" as they are also known. Not as popular outside of Japan.
I'm serious bro. I don't have the slightest interest in the entertainment world, I couldn't care less about it and the people who make it up so I wouldn't have heard of any of them. The sports and tech world is another story, I'm familiar with most of the names there.

Well I found it pretty entertaining, could care less what they where trying to sell to me, I just love to see all the Statham faces everywhere, too jokes. Maybe I'll upgrade my G3 to a G5 but I just got Android 6.0 and it's great.

Back