LG is quitting the Chinese smartphone market

midian182

Staff member

Even though LG posted record revenue of $55.4 billion last year, marking a 10.9 percent YoY increase, its smartphone division continues to struggle. Now, the Korean company is reportedly exiting the largest phone market in the world: China.

LG’s Home Appliances and TVs helped generate the highest annual revenue in the company’s history last year, but its mobile business saw an operating loss of $192.33 million during the fourth quarter. This may have been an improvement over the previous quarter’s $331.37 million loss, but it wasn’t a sign that its fortunes were about to turn around, especially as LG has posted only one profitable quarter in the last two years.

LG has talked about the strong competition it faces from Chinese mobile brands—Huawei, Xiaomi, and Oppo sit behind Apple and Samsung on the list of world's biggest smartphone companies, and the three firms dominate sales in their home country.

LG reportedly sold just 160,000 of its handsets in China during 2016 and is currently said to hold less than one percent of the country’s smartphone market. The flagship G6 and V30 models weren’t launched in China, which last saw a new LG phone during 2016 in the form of the G5 SE, so the decision to pull out of the Asian nation may have been on the cards for a while.

Back in January, it was reported that the G6’s successor, the G7, was to undergo a total revision on the orders of LG Electronics CEO Jo Seong-jin. It was thought that the handset would be launched at Mobile World Congress, which starts later this month, but it’s now expected to arrive in the middle of the year.

At the recent CES event, LG revealed it was moving away from a yearly smartphone launch cycle and will instead focus on releasing more variants of its handsets. “We will unveil new smartphones when it is needed. But we will not launch it just because other rivals do,” Jo said.

Permalink to story.

#1 It's a shame that the smartphone market has become a race towards annual upgrades - just to meet quarterly statements proving year-over-year growth.

#2 Apple, Google and Samsung are more fit to drive the annual upgrade paradigm than any other smartphone maker.

#3 when I look at that picture up there, it's easy to understand why LG is lagging in China.
That phone does nothing "different" and they aren't advertising these things enough to make me actually "want" it.

I look at that picture and have no idea what it even is.

I look at that picture and I see nothing worth liking.

I wasn't talking about that side of the fence. I was referencing our side of the ads. I will never suggest a company needs to advertise more. I don't want to see the crap.

#1 It's a shame that the smartphone market has become a race towards annual upgrades - just to meet quarterly statements proving year-over-year growth.

#2 Apple, Google and Samsung are more fit to drive the annual upgrade paradigm than any other smartphone maker.

#3 when I look at that picture up there, it's easy to understand why LG is lagging in China.
That phone does nothing "different" and they aren't advertising these things enough to make me actually "want" it.

Nonsense, I bought the LG20 because it stood out on all points. Replaceable battery, SD card, wide angle cam and most importantly a quad DAC build in for best sound out of a mobile device on the market. Not to mention military grade built so it doesn't break like an egg like iphones.

It looks like a solid phone. Too bad they have a reputation for having bootloops.

LG (aka life is good but life is bad) can't cut in the market along side their Samsung both from South Korea. Might be time for a merger of the two companies. Motorola, Google, Microsoft, SONY, Samsung, Apple they stand out everyone else as folded except ZTE and the other clones..Still I want a cell phone that works and has enough RAM, screen can't shatter/crack, no scratches, WIFI can go beyond N300, 2.4GHz has 5 GHz or better. Size not so important 5.5HD AOLED Super, advance etc lingo yeah. LG weak market approach, buggy software overlay and features that really don't need to be on a smartphone. Samsung is another one for adding their own GUI overlay approach. Still the race is on, Windows 10 Smartphone, Android Smartphone, Apple Smartphone who's the winner.. Who's the loser. I like Windows 10 Smartphone but the support for it weak compare to Android 8.x Smartphone , Apple XiOS Smartphone shorting coming lack of space forces you to buy more services. Android Smartphone some allow you to have NAND 64 GB or higher extended storage by Micro slot 2 TB or better. Gives you options if you need more storage and not have to pay additional fee for the icloud, etc.. LG time to get out and do something else LG Smart Car or LG Smart Home product. I am sure they'll figure out their next move. My LG smartphones are not used so should give you idea...

Nonsense, I bought the LG20 because it stood out on all points. Replaceable battery, SD card, wide angle cam and most importantly a quad DAC build in for best sound out of a mobile device on the market. Not to mention military grade built so it doesn't break like an egg like iphones.

LG20?

That's what they call this thing?

OH OK cause I ain't never heard of it before!

what you're looking at is the lg v30. it's right on par with everything that came out last year in the high end flagship market. the problem is that all of them are going to the bezelless screen, gets kinda hard to differentiate the design after that. I hear where you're coming from. they've all topped out on appeal.

what you're looking at is the lg v30. it's right on par with everything that came out last year in the high end flagship market. the problem is that all of them are going to the bezelless screen, gets kinda hard to differentiate the design after that. I hear where you're coming from. they've all topped out on appeal.
As much as iPhone X gets criticized for the top notch, it's obvious that they did that specifically so no one would EVER mistake it for anything else.

Back