LG reaches settlement in bootloop lawsuit, offers owners $425 cash or $700 rebate

midian182

Staff member

You might remember the bootloop controversy surrounding LG’s flagship phones from 2015 and 2016. The way the company dealt with the situation led to some angry owners launching a class-action lawsuit last year. According to law firm Girard Gibbs, which handled the case, LG has now settled.

The problem appeared in the LG G4, LG V10, and Nexus 5X from 2015 and 2016’s LG G5 and LG V20. Hardware failures caused the handsets to reboot themselves endlessly, turning them into expensive paperweights.

LG refused to replace affected units that were out of warranty. Even if a device was still within the one-year warranty period, the replacement units suffered from the same issue. The suit said that even after LG acknowledged the problem, it continued to manufacture phones with the bootloop defect.

As part of the settlement, members of the suit are being offered up to $700 off a new LG smartphone, which could get them a bootloop-free V30 or G6. Alternatively, if the experience has put them off LG phones for life, they can receive $425 in cash instead.

Those who joined the suit need to fill out a “Proof of Claim” survey by February 12th, 2018 to receive the full discount or cash settlement. It appears that this survey is currently closed, which could be due to volume of traffic. If you want to find out more, check out Girard Gibbs’ website.

Permalink to story.

Hope Samsung will do the same for the Note 4 - which after a firmware update stopped working properly - lag, freeze and reboot. Curious that installing an app called WakeLock can partially fix that issue. This raises some questions.

Great PR for LG. I doubt that anybody hearing this story would wanna buy LG phone again. Personally, I have decided not to buy lg ever again, after I ve seen the "quality" of the brand from several relatives who had lg phones. Both devices, different models, died.

Holly Hell, I had no idea this was even a thing. We went through hell with LG and Verizon with my wife's LG G5. We paid the $50 to have a replacement sent to us only to have it reboot and overheat just as the other was doing, it was a year of hell because my wife was locked by contract to that PoS phone. For some odd reason she loves the form factor and decided to by the LG G6 when her contract ended rather than a Samsung.

Hope Samsung will do the same for the Note 4 - which after a firmware update stopped working properly - lag, freeze and reboot. Curious that installing an app called WakeLock can partially fix that issue. This raises some questions.
I had a note four but never had that happen with mine.. only issue I had was the note 7...

Great PR for LG. I doubt that anybody hearing this story would wanna buy LG phone again. Personally, I have decided not to buy lg ever again, after I ve seen the "quality" of the brand from several relatives who had lg phones. Both devices, different models, died.
I'll buy a LG phone again.
Running an original LG Optimus G (G1). Some people treat their devices very poorly.

I was very happy with my LG G4. Right up until a few weeks ago when it died and wouldn't turn on. After checking online, I found loads of people complaining of the same thing. So, I no longer like LG. Giving Huawei a try.

Warranties exist for a reason.....

I'll buy a LG phone again.
Running an original LG Optimus G (G1). Some people treat their devices very poorly.
The boot loop had nothing to do with treating your phone poorly.

I wish I'd known about the LG Class Action, as I had my G4 replaced twice for boot loop. The first time it was less than a year after I got it and the second time it was less than a year after the first replacement, so they were both covered by warranty, so I might not have been eligible?

The boot loop had nothing to do with treating your phone poorly.
I know. I was referring to the statement about quality and them dying. Some people do stuff like set them charger side down in a cup holder that has been holding a sweaty cup in it all day, the kind of cup you might take to work everyday, that kind of poor treatment.

Wtf... I had two LG phones do this, and tmobile wouldn't replace the second one because they claimed that it doesn't pass their inspection if the OS doesn't load, so I had to pay for a new phone...

Why didn't I receive any notification that this was happening?

Wtf... I had two LG phones do this, and tmobile wouldn't replace the second one because they claimed that it doesn't pass their inspection if the OS doesn't load, so I had to pay for a new phone...

Why didn't I receive any notification that this was happening?
Interesting. Verizon actually gave better service than T-mobile? That kind of poops on their advertising.

First I’ve heard of this. I’m guessing android devices have issues like this so often that it’s not newsworthy. If this happened to Apple devices though, it would be front page headlines!

I had no luck with them because I bought my Nexus 5x in Hong Kong. Seriously, the way LG support treated me you would swear I'd stolen the thing. Google completely washed their hands of the thing.

Never again LG and never again Google.

So is this class action only for people who currently have a bootlooped LG phone? Because my G4 did this back in 2016. LG fixed it and got it back to me (in 3 weeks), but I've since migrated to a G5.

Checking out Girard Gibbs’ website for the class action says THERE IS NO CLASS ACTION, and that LG decided to extend the warranty of affected phones to 30 months?

Checking out Girard Gibbs’ website for the class action says THERE IS NO CLASS ACTION, and that LG decided to extend the warranty of affected phones to 30 months?
Well the article stated that there was a settlement. By definition when there is a settlement that ends the lawsuit.

Well the article stated that there was a settlement. By definition when there is a settlement that ends the lawsuit.

Well at the link given in this article for the law office's page on the issue, it says very specifically (in bold): "There is no class action settlement." This is followed up with:

"LG has agreed to extend the warranty as to the bootloop defect to 30 months from the date of purchase.
At this time we recommend that you contact LG directly at 800-243-0000 or www.lg.com/us/support.
If LG refuses to address your complaint, you are welcome to contact us at lgarb@girardgibbs.com."

Well at the link given in this article for the law office's page on the issue, it says very specifically (in bold): "There is no class action settlement."
You are correct. However, it also says that the court required individual arbitration. That would be instead of class action. As you quoted if you have a problem, contact LG. If that doesn't work, contact Girard Gibbs.

You are correct. However, it also says that the court required individual arbitration. That would be instead of class action. As you quoted if you have a problem, contact LG. If that doesn't work, contact Girard Gibbs.

Understood. I think I glossed over that part in my confusion, lol. Do you have any knowledge regarding my original question? Does this only apply to people that currently have a bootloop issue, or to anyone that has had a bootloop issue at some point?

No, I'm sorry. I don't have any knowledge beyond what the article said. If you have an issue, you can try contacting LG to find out. In your original post you said LG fixed your phone. If so, there would be no need to contact LG unless I'm misunderstanding something.

No, I'm sorry. I don't have any knowledge beyond what the article said. If you have an issue, you can try contacting LG to find out. In your original post you said LG fixed your phone. If so, there would be no need to contact LG unless I'm misunderstanding something.
He wants money.

Back