Limit on which graphics card one can use

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggsrbad

someone told me that there is a limit on which graphics card ones motherboard can handle, something like uprading ram and how one can only upgrade to the specified amount or can one install any graphics card provided one has the psu, the right slot, and the right amount of ram

Tis true. There are some deciding factors that will tell you what graphics cards you can use, mainly:

1. What type of slot your motherboard has for graphics. There are 3 types.

a) PCI​
b) AGP - there are a few different levels of AGP as well​
c) PCI-express x16​

The slot your board has determines which type of graphics card you can use.

2. Your power supply.
If you are upgrading from onboard graphics to a powerful new graphics card, chances are your old power supply is not going to like it and you will also need to upgrade your power supply. Luckily this is usually a fairly easy, cheap upgrade on most systems. Be forewarned though, especially if you are using an older Dell (for example) sometimes the power supplies are made specifically for that brand name, and it's connectors are different from the standard. If you are unsure, post your system make/model and someone here can help you determine what you will need.

The slot and psu are the only deciding factors, correct? then thee is no limitbesides that and of course budget

Those are the only factors in order to get the card working, but there are other factors to help select the RIGHT card for your system.

For example if you have an AGP slot with an old celeron processor and only 256mb of ram, it wouldn't make sense to buy a 7800GS graphics card. Sure the card will work, but the rest of your system would bottleneck so much that the high end graphics card would be a complete waste of your money.

Probably the best thing to do would be to tell us your system specs, what games you are hoping to be able to play, and a budget you want to stay under. We can then try and advise you based on that info.

I was just wondering I'm not intrested in buying a new card right now the one i have is decent, but if you want it I have 512MB of ram with a 300watt psu and an agpx8 slot

What kind of processor and motherboard do you have? What video card do you have right now? That 300W power supply will probably need to be upgraded when you decide to upgrade your video card. Most new cards require at least 350W or more depending on the rest of your system.

I'm not looking for a video card I was just inquiring about the limits on it, I thought hat with the proper slot and psu one could run any card but I was wrong if the mobo and processor can't handle it then no. Since you really want to help I would like a video card that can play HDTV through m'monitor, I honostly do not know what mother board i have,just asus, and I really don't know what processor i have either just pentium 4 2.6 ghz with HyperThreading

processor is....pentium 4 2.6 ghz
motherboard is....(I'm geussing the model #) asusP4sd-la
memory is...512
slot is...agpx8
current card...radeon all in wonder 9600
psu is...300W(compusa brand??)
thats all, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back