"Limited or No Conectivity" with wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Op2

I am using a laptop and sharing a wireless network with my roommate.

Suddently, I cannot use my network anymore while my roommate has no problem at all. It said Limited or No Conectivity.

I read a lot abot this problem in the websites and seem like many people have the same problem and couldn't fix it.

The network works when I use the cable and connect my laptop directly to the wireless modem. However, I firgured out that the IP of the wireless is wrong (either different with the one of cable of 0.0.0.0).

I can also connect to my neighbour's network well.

I even went to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, click Use the following address and typed exactly what I saw of the cable (with ipconfig /all in DOS). I was full of hope when the connect sign show up, but too bad, even though every information show up well, I sill cannot connect to the internet.

I used WinSock and the Repair function of Windows XP as well, but none work. I reformated and reinstalled, too. The command "ipconfig /renew" is no good, either.

I will appreciate any kind of help. Please!
D.

P/S: Even if you ask me to redo any thing I have done, I will be happy to do that.

Limited access happens when you dont authenticate to the wireless network properly, basically its like getting access to a motor vehicle but not having a key for the ignition, you can sit there all day and not get anywhere.

Go into the router and turn off the security and change the SSID to something else, make sure that its set to be a DHCP server, now if your using windows Zero config thing refresh the list of networks until you see the new network, click connect

If you get connected then its the security settings for definate,

If you dont get connected then come back to me for further help.

Just one last note, my router or WIFI NIC is a bit shagged and occasionally I get the same message about LC, I have to reinitialise my WIFI NIC software to get it working,

I'm currently working on a sticky for WIFI networks as they can be tricky.

Regards

Op2 said:
I am using a laptop and sharing a wireless network with my roommate.

Suddently, I cannot use my network anymore while my roommate has no problem at all. It said Limited or No Conectivity.

I read a lot abot this problem in the websites and seem like many people have the same problem and couldn't fix it.

The network works when I use the cable and connect my laptop directly to the wireless modem. However, I firgured out that the IP of the wireless is wrong (either different with the one of cable of 0.0.0.0).

I can also connect to my neighbour's network well.

I even went to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, click Use the following address and typed exactly what I saw of the cable (with ipconfig /all in DOS). I was full of hope when the connect sign show up, but too bad, even though every information show up well, I sill cannot connect to the internet.

I used WinSock and the Repair function of Windows XP as well, but none work. I reformated and reinstalled, too. The command "ipconfig /renew" is no good, either.

I will appreciate any kind of help. Please!
D.

P/S: Even if you ask me to redo any thing I have done, I will be happy to do that.

Okay you just answer you own question here. When you connect the LAN cable to the system it works. Now on that same system your wireless should connect also. If it doesn't assign static IP for it instead of letting the DHCP do it automatically.

Thank you Ididmyc600. No, I didn't get it connected after I have done what you said.

Thank you tipstir. You're right, it should works, but it didn't, and that is the problem.

Op2 said:
Thank you Ididmyc600. No, I didn't get it connected after I have done what you said.

Thank you tipstir. You're right, it should works, but it didn't, and that is the problem.

So you can connect to your friends Router but not your own ?

Regards

You get limited or no connectivity when you cannot reach a DHCP server. This means you are connected though, so try assigning yourself a static IP within the range of your routers DHCP scope and you should be connected.

To avoid this though try the following:

- Repair your W-NIC (right-click W-NIC, select REPAIR)
- Check in the properties of your W-NIC under the WIRELESS NETWORKS tab - delete your w-network from the prefferred networks list
- Re-start your PC with the W-NIC OFF. Once booted up, switch it back on and try re-connecting to your W-Network.

Wireless always has these types of little problems, I experience it alot if I bounce around through 3+ wireless networks in a day.

Let us know how you go :grinthumb

mikescorpio81 said:
This means you are connected though, so try assigning yourself a static IP within the range of your routers DHCP scope and you should be connected.
That's often true, but doesn't have to be true.

Even though Windows senses the 'media' is connected, there may in fact be no network connectivity. For example, attempting to connect to an encrypted wireless network with the wrong key can count as being 'connected', but you will not be able to negotiate an IP or anything else for that matter.

There's also things that can filter out DHCP communication, such as firewalls. It's a good idea to disable or even uninstall such utilities while troubleshooting.

So, this might sound like a silly idea, but are you sure you're using the right WEP/WPA key? Is there encryption at all? Even if you're absolutely sure you typed the right encyption key in, double check it... Delete and recreate a new profile to make sure this isn't your problem as it can cause very simliar symptoms,.

Thanks for that Rick, but I garantee you that if he assigns himself static credentials while being in a limited or no connectivity state (providing he provides DNS servers that will do recursive lookups for him) within the scope he will have interent connectivity.

Happens to me all the time ... its a quick fix and i use it for testing purposes.

Cheers :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back