Limited or no connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepdale11

Hi, I am new to this site, I need so help!
I have been given my mother in law's pc to sort out a problem, but I can't seen to do it and I wondered if any of you kind people could help me?

The pc is Xp home sp2. The problem is that it has limited of no connectivity, it can not go onto the internet,it says "can not find server"
I have been on google and found this site with so ideas,one idea was to remove sp2 under add/remove,but this pc must of had sp2 on it whwn it was made as sp2 is not under add/remove. the other idea was to download and run ICS Config MFC application, however in the set up it should say "Good Read" in a white box,but it doesn't it says"ICS not installed" IS THIS THE PROBLEM if so how do I install ICS??

Can anybody can help?????

Regards
Chris

download winsockfix from here and install it.

then go to command prompt (type cmd.exe in start/run box)
at command prompt, enter
ipconfig
write down this info for each pc:
ip address
subnet mask
default gateway

check the subnet command first 2 numbers on each pc
while at the command prompt, enter this:
ping ipaddress

(ipaddress is something like 192.168.0.1 - from above ipconfig command)
if the computer can ping itself and and the other one, it's working ok.

Your Internet Connection?

Please tell us your Internet connection. Is it DSL? Dial-Up Modem? Are your sure you are connected to the internet? The message "cannot find server" can mean no internet connection.

The phrase " Limited or no conectivity" is shown as a bubble message in the internet or network icons in the system tray/quicklaunch bar. Is this where you see this message? If so, just click the icon showing this message and it will show its status box. It will show you if you are connected or not. Click its properties. You will see in the General Tab 2 check boxes that says:

1. Show icon in notification area when connected
2. Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

Im guessing no. 2 is checked and no. 1 is not in your case. And Im guessing that you dont have internet connection at this point.

Pls. try all this and give us a feedback.

regards.

always backup your files first.
can yo u delete this connection, and reinstall a new connection using network connection wizard?

2 weeks ago, my neighbor, had a problem with viruses (viri)! he was getting this message "can not find server".
we restored his system to the week before.
here's how:
start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore
or

from the command prompt:

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

insert xp cd in the machine (it may auto run) if not:
turn machine off
start machine, while tapping esc, f1, del, or some other key to get you into BIOS
in boot option, select "boot from cd first"
save and exit
when win-xp install starts, at some point it will see that the os is already is installed.
it will ask you if you want to do a recovery
you should answer yes.
then there's the question of service packs.
you may have to uninstall them from control panel/add-remove programs.
and then re-install them later.

Thanks for help, I will do this tomorrow afternoon.
I am doing a A+ networking course with computeach and I am stuck on the second mock,do you know about A+ exam,if you do would you like to help me and will pay you for trouble!

Thanks, I will send the details tomorrow via private message afternoon,if that's ok, what's the best time to talk to you?

Hi

Try these first:

1. Pull out the power cord from the cable modem, put it back and try again.

2. Goto Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connection > Network Connection. Right-click and click 'Repair'

Have a nice day!

deepdale11 said:
Yeah I have done a restore back to jan,but it would not let me go back past jan? do you how to re-install xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back