limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipopo

hi there,
i have a problem with my local area connection. for some time now i get this message that's in the title of this thread. i tried handling it myself and while doing so i tried to disable or renew my ip (that's what i found in some forum). while trying that i got an error message saying: unable to contact your dhcp server.
at this point i gave up since i don't really understand too much about this stuff.
another thing which might be related to this matter is another error i get in my uTorrent program which says that something is limiting my network traffic (and download speed really seems a lot slower). i tried to open a port on windows firewall but it didn't help. i also have Comodo firewall and as far as know the program is allowed to connect. but when i tried to test the port via the uTorrent program i got an error:
Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 24924 on 82.81.146.4...

Error! Port 24924 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

1. first question i have is general: what is this local area connection? i have another connection running (under my isp's name) and there's no problem over there.
2. are the two problems related?
3. what can i do about it?
* but please answer in simple language. i'm not a computer expert and all the professional words don't mean much to me.
hope you can help...

You need to go into your router and Open ports for your PC that using using with this program called uTorrents.

Example: 192.189.9.10 - was the pc you're running the software on...

In the Router there will be section called Port Forwarding..

Port# 111111 -to- 19999 (TCP or Both (UDP) for PC 192.189.9.0

That's how it's done.. If your router is UnPn supported then you don't have to do a thing. The router will setup the port you need. But in the program called uTorrent you need to open the ports 11111 or 199999... Another bit is you can use Port# 111111 to 111111 instead of a range.

Make sure your firewall supports these ports otherwise these ports will be blocked

tipstir said:
Example: 192.189.9.10 - was the pc you're running the software on...

In the Router there will be section called Port Forwarding..

Port# 111111 -to- 19999 (TCP or Both (UDP) for PC 192.189.9.0

oops; looks like a typo; should be 192.189.9.10

Checking port 24924 on 82.81.146.4...

Error! Port 24924 does not appear to be open.

That just basically means that your router isn't recieving as many as connections as it should be.

You need go to your routers home page and set the number used for incoming connections in utorrent you can find this under options then preferences.

Regards Jase

looks more like the original message, re port forwarding is not correct.

insufficient threads/ports would only slow-up the processing, whereas
missing port forwarding will stop all connectivity.

just making sure

tipstir,
by router, you mean firewall? cause otherwise i don't know how to go into my router and open ports. i also don't see where you got the port number that you wrote - should i open that one or was it just an example?
if you do mean firewall, should i do those things both in windows and Comodo? and last but most important, could you guide me how exactly to do it?

jase123, i didn't really understand what you told me to do... homepage of what? where can i set preferences?

jobeard, i have no idea what you are talking about. was the post intended for me?
i really apologize but i am not so familiar with these terms so you need to write in a more simple language.

and of course - thank you all

homepage of what?

Your routers homepage, if you could tell me the make and model of you router then i could try find you your routers homepage ip.

where can i set preferences?

Preferences is in utorrent its self. Open it up, thne go to options at the top, and in the drop down menu select preferences.
This is where you set your number of connections, port number ect...

Regards Jase :)

i still don't get it, router is the modem? if so then we're talking about ROTAL - RTA1320a.
i'll be gone for a few days now, so don't take it personaly.

chipopo said:
tipstir,
by router, you mean firewall? cause otherwise i don't know how to go into my router and open ports. i also don't see where you got the port number that you wrote - should i open that one or was it just an example?
if you do mean firewall, should i do those things both in windows and Comodo? and last but most important, could you guide me how exactly to do it?

jase123, i didn't really understand what you told me to do... homepage of what? where can i set preferences?

jobeard, i have no idea what you are talking about. was the post intended for me?
i really apologize but i am not so familiar with these terms so you need to write in a more simple language.

and of course - thank you all

Here's how the internet ISP with modem, attached to router and pcs..
getnm_mapimage.gif

The Router is almost like another PC or traffic cop directing the flow of the internet to and from each PC on your network.
The Router has Firewall sometimes 1, 2 or 3, depending on what you buy. NAT is the main one SPI 2 and Intrustion Dection 3 there is also 4th one for VPN (Virtual Private Networks) right now you don't have to worry about number 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back