limiting bandwith of other/different users??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbang

just wondering if theres a way to limit bandwith of other users on the same computer by using a program or anything..

LoL

Because it is probably a "community" family computer where lil sister has 1,000,000,000,000,000 songs downloading on her passworded account and the dude probably wants to play a online game, download some of his own music or even surf the net reasonably but he cant cause all the bandwith is eaten up.

Am I right ? If that is the case just try restarting the computer before you go on, that will shut down all of the other persons downloads. Or try asking them to halt their downloads until you are done with your time on the computer. It isnt too nice of them to still be using the computer even when you are on it. Its called compromise. If they dont go for that, then just restart the machine as I had said earlier.

Other than that I am not too sure what you could do software wise about it on the same computer.

this is a reoccuring question and it's not silly at all -- it's just VERY expensive to acquire.

you need a professional router (ie not linksys, d-link, netgear) with the
traffic shaping feature, QoS.

examples:

jobeard said:
you need a professional router (ie not linksys, d-link, netgear) with the
traffic shaping feature, QoS.
And how would that QoS tell the diference between two users on the same computer? You'd need a very serious firewall solution with user authentication features a la CheckPoint or Cisco PIX.. And even those couldn't possibly do any QoS on two simultaneous connections made by two different users on the same machine.

theres no problem with the "community" that im living with .. just for future reference if i wanna hog the pc coz the users of my pc will complain if theres a slow internet connection then after that they will stop using it coz they think its useless then i will be the only one left to use it :evil:

but i was just wondering... :)

Nodsu said:
And how would that QoS tell the diference between two users on the same computer?
oops; I didn't catch that.

QoS discriminates against types of connections (tcp vs udp), duration of connections, and
traffic loads -- not Specific Users per se. It can also easily respond to different MAC address.

Sorry for the confusion.

Well

We are not going to help you be a pain with the family computer, everyone in the household has a right to use the computer to its full potential....If you want a computer all to yourself just save up and buy your own. Then it will all be yours yours yours.....

What you want to do this for is downright LOW and you should be ashamed of yourself.....tisk tisk

JimShady23 said:
We are not going to help you be a pain with the family computer, everyone in the household has a right to use the computer to its full potential....
Let's not go down this road! Parental control is an obligation that children just don't understand -- until they too become parents.

The question was technical, not political so please respond "in kind"

JimShady23 said:
If you want a computer all to yourself just save up and buy your own. Then it will all be yours yours yours.....

What you want to do this for is downright LOW and you should be ashamed of yourself.....tisk tisk

didnt i mention that the pc was mine??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back