Linking a router to a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a DSL router (Mecer 4-port) that keeps me connected to the internet and 3 of the ports are being used by our 2 PCs and a Laptop.

I also have an old 5 port switch (Genius Fast ethernet N-way). What I'd like to do is connect the router to the switch and possibly use the two together for a bit of network gaming and the like.

Is this posible (I have an excess of network cables) if so should the switch be in "normal" or "cross-over" which relates to the first port.

All input would be good.

Xen

Just hook up the switch to your router in place of the laptop and utilize one port off the swtich to your laptop giving you two ports for adding to your network for gaming and such.

Magnus Xen said:
I have a DSL router (Mecer 4-port) that keeps me connected to the internet and 3 of the ports are being used by our 2 PCs and a Laptop.

I also have an old 5 port switch (Genius Fast ethernet N-way). What I'd like to do is connect the router to the switch and possibly use the two together for a bit of network gaming and the like.

Is this posible (I have an excess of network cables) if so should the switch be in "normal" or "cross-over" which relates to the first port.

All input would be good.

Xen

Some routers have an autosensing port, if not all the ports will be, just plug the hub into any of the spare ports and see if you get a light on the hub corrsponding to where the cable from the router goes in.

If your router doesn't autosense then plug the router into the uplink port on the hub and flick the X-mid switch until you get a light on the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back