Linksys Router - Https works - Http doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm struggling with my Linksys WAG54G Wireless ADSL router.

Recently, despite no setting changes i'm aware of, the router seems to lose the ability to see the web from time to time.

Originally, I thought the whole connection had failed but I've now noticed that only http stops working but https, ftp etc keep working fine.

Now, this can't be PC setting or firewall related since it effects the PS3, PSP and other devices all running through this same router.

9 times out of 10, a switch-router-off, wait, switch-router-on seems to clear it.

So, any suggestions? Is my linksys router on it's last legs? All help much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi GustaBonad and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

I just went through a patch of this with a Belkin wireless Router, it lasted for a few days and then stopped, no reason, no rhyme, same effects as you, No HTTP but MSN messenger worked OK and so did email.

It's not doing it now and hasnt for a while, so it may have been an ISP thing, I did notice that there was a lot of hacking attempts on my router at the time but nothing the router couldnt handle.

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Regards

try a factory reset by pressing and holding the reset button on the bottom or back of the router. You will have to re-enter any passwords, and settings like port forwarding

Hi,
I have the same problem with my US Robotic router. Tested on 3 computers , IE works fine on 2 but not in one (either on WIFI and net card).

all browsers need port 80 to be opened; usually it's defaulted, but that is NOT
a requirement.

add a rule (near the top of the list)
allow outbound tcp any source, any dest, port 80

Thanks for the help (and the welcome!) guys.

The problem seems to have gone away (doesn't it always?)

I'm either going to put it down to a ISP 'feature' or the fact that I turned the router onto it's side and waggled the antenna a bit.

Or, it could be solar flares, the longest day of the year, or the threat of physical abuse!

gustabonad said:
The problem seems to have gone away (doesn't it always?)
!

Yep like i said I went through a few days of that, i was, if it carried on, going to remove the router and link direct to the modem (wife and kids wouldnt have been happy) to see if the router was at fault, however before I got a chance it cleared.

If anyone else comes across this thread in the future and has an idea, I would be most happy to find out....

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back