Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 Router issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone ... Kevin from Long Island here. This is my first post, so please bear with me. :wave:

I sought this forum out for because I need HELP!!

I bought my daughter a nice PC, and installed a good wireless card in hers, and the Linksys Wireless-G in my room (across the hall, not far at all) as the hub.

It WORKS ... but the connection almost always reads: "Low Signal Strength" or "Very Low Signal Strength".

The resulting problem is that she keeps getting kicked off the Internet. She can log right back on again, but in 10 or 15 minutes, off she goes.

I am thinking it might be something in the configuration? I am not a network guy at all, but I do have a tech backround in Telecom.

Thanks in advance for any information, or direction, you guys can provide.

Kevin

if you have a lot of metal around your computer (i.e. live in a building with metal structures), the signal may not reach a neighboring room. Wireless cards produce a VERY low stregnth signal - usually about 5u W on average. You can improve the signal by purchasing a desktop antenna from radio shack and/or repositioning the router to a more centralized location. When working with radio signals, sometimes you have to reposition your computer (without an external antenna) or your antenna to gain signal. Radio waves can be quite fickle. Sometimes just by moving your antenna slightly, you can see an enormous increase in signal strength. Radio signals bounce off metallic objects.

Wireless g operates in the 2.4ghz range which can be affected by other items in the house that operate in the same frequency range such as microwave ovens and some radio phones (cordless) operating in the 2.4ghz range.

I highly suggest getting an external antenna for your receiving system. They are very cheap and quite effective.

Also try and change the Wireless Channel on your Router, sometimes that helps if other devices in the area are using exactly the same frequency. The option should be on the Basic Wireless Settings page.

Tedster said:
You can improve the signal by purchasing a desktop antenna from radio shack and/or repositioning the router to a more centralized location. When working with radio signals, sometimes you have to reposition your computer (without an external antenna) or your antenna to gain signal. Radio waves can be quite fickle. Sometimes just by moving your antenna slightly, you can see an enormous increase in signal strength.
Moving the router to the top of a bookcase will improve range and strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back