Linksys WRT54G issues with XP SP2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using a Linksys Router, (WRT54G), and a Linksys PCI Card, (WMP54G). On my old PC I was running XP PRO, on my new one, I'm running XP Home SP2. I took the wireless card from my old PC and installed it on my new one, loaded all the same drivers but I cannot get it to connect. I see the signal strength, but when I try to connect to it, I can't. I've tried both letting windows configure my wirless connections and letting the Linksys utility do it. Neither will work. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I took the card out of my new PC and put it back in my old PC and it worked just fine. Do I need to maybe upgrade the firmware on my router to accomidate SP2??? Please help....

Hello SybERkrimInAL and welcome to TECHSPOT!! :)

One: Windows XP Service Pack 2 sucks, it is very strict base on the setting and drivers. Put your wireless PCI card in ur new computer, wait until your Windows finish load everythings, uninstall the Microsoft Driver for Wireless and install your Retail driver. should work from now on.

Two: Make sure your internet or incoming cable or plug stay off the WAN. plug it in #1 instead WAN.

Three: Maybe you should upgrade your firmware, but not yet, if you are willing to format your new computer, install the SP1 first then try it out to see if it works.

Lucan

I installed, reinstalled, uninstalled and reninstalled the drivers directly from the Linksys website and nothing seems to work. I disabled my firewalls and antivirus software, just for the heck of it. The Windows setup disk has SP2 already installed on it, so there's no way to go back to SP1. It actually connected one time using the Linksys utility but was kicked off within a matter of minutes. I'm just gonna mess around with the config for a while longer and if I can't get it going, I'm gonna give the upgraded firmware a try. Thanks for your help.

Updating the firmware on the router is almost a requirement, I suggest always keeping it up to date, especially if you use mixed brands. As for the wmp54g and SP2, see if Linksys has an updated driver for that card. I know they had some troubles when sp2 first came out, bu6t those are currently shipping and should have an update. I know that Linksys and Netgear have both refused to update some older hardware for SP2 and will tell customers to remove SP2 but the g cards should still get updates, if not it is going to only hurt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back