Linksys WRT54G Router Drops Periodically .. Must Be Manually Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasio-

For some reason, my Linksys WRT54G router stops functioning every night. All I have to do is unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work again, but this is a problem because software I run requires internet during the night, while I'm asleep. I have a good feeling this is a settings issue, and not related to the hardware, but any advice or information you guys have would be a great start to solving this problem.

Thank you in advanced,
Ross L.

Did you do the first thing you should have done right after getting the router - update to the latest firmware?

Now, is it the outer that stops functioning or does you internet connection drop?
What does your software do at night?

Check firmware as Nodsu said. It very well could be hardware, I owned a WRT54G for a few years and had problems on and off with it doing that, I ran through several firmware releases with varying levels of success, eventually the thing just died.

The very first thing I did was update the firmware, newest version as of 2 days ago.
It is the router, I tried (when the problem occured) simply turning off and on my GNet modem, and it didn't work until I reset the router.
If this is a WRT54G problem, I'll probably have to replace it, so even if you don't know a solution, could someone post some alternatives to Linksys that are easy to configure and work well?

If you update the firmware - okay
If you reseted the router many times - okay
If it still drops the connections or keeps on rebooting which it isn't suppose to do then replace it.

It could be anything wrong... I am not saying that it won't reboot unless the router has encounter a problem, error, overheated, or someone tried to hack into it then it going to take action. But if it not working as you have described then it has done it's job and must be thrown in the trash or for replacement.

I'd give the ddwrt firmware a chance, if the problems are caused by whatever caused mine it won't fix it, but I was able to have it work with the ddwrt firmware for a while. That firmware is so awesome that you'll probably want to pick your next router out of the list of routers that can accept ddwrt. As for specific recommendations, I have none.

Please. When the connection drops, try connecting to the router setup page. If it responds, then the router hasn't crashed. It could be your ISP that drops your connection and you haven't set the router to auto-reconnect for example.

What does your software do at nights? Home routers are not designed to handle thousands of connections. So, if you are running Bittorrent or suchlike, then you have to tighten the connection limits. Same goes for bulk e-mailing engines or whatever.

I run nothing difficult on the system, but bittorrent works fine when i do use it. it's just a game that I run during the night. uses 1 connection. as for it running it's course, it's like 8 weeks old. I'll check out this firmware you speak of though, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back