Linksys WRV54G Problems, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having some problems with my Linksys Router. Its model is WRV54G. It was working before until I hit the reset button. I have an AT&T service which I called them and they restored all my settings back. All my IP has changed but none are 0.0.0.0 like they were. I needed to reset it because I needed to get in the settings to put a WPA password for my wireless because it wasn't secure. But at one point when I changed some settings my password got changed when I hit save settings. I really need to get on the internet ASAP. Please don't say "you're on the internet" because I am not on my network. I have tried all my wireless computers and the host and none of them will work with internet.
By the way, all my compters are Windows XP
Please help me!!!
Thanks,
Michael

Can you give more details?

What have you tried already?

Do you have any errors?

the more the better. Anything that you think is relevant.

I have PPoE connection. I know that the router isn't bad because it worked before I reset all my settings, I have a modem that AT&T gave to me when I got the DSL service.
I have also tried using all the other settings like Static IP and other things like that
If you need anything specific please let me know.
Thanks,
Michael

open a command promt, in XP this is done by going to start>RUN> type cmd

type ipconfig /all

what does it say for default gateway

leave command prompt open

been a while since I have been on XP but try this. Go to start>all programs>accessories> double click on command prompt if the whole windows closes, if it doesn't close try scrolling up

oh and make sure you type it in exactly like this ipconfig /all
don't forget the space before /all

k, now also from command prompt type

ping 192.168.1.1

Then copy and paste result, to copy and paste from command prompt

Click on the upper left icon on the command shell window ->you'll see a sub menu called Edit. Click on that, and you'll find Select all, then do it again and select copy

just go to edit -> select all, edit -> copy

then come here hit reply then instead of typing in the screen right click with your mouse and hit paste

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

reply from 192.168.1.1 bytes = 32 time <1ms ttl = 64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4 Recieved = 4 Lost = 0 (0% loss),
approximate trip time milli-seconds
minimum = 1 maximum = 1 average = 1

This might not be exact because I didn't transfer but it is pretty much what is says.

k, now try typing

ping 64.233.167.104

and see if you get a reply -> i dont think you will as this is google, i just want to see if it gives you an error

It just says:

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.233.167.104
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

So it doesn't look like I have this address...

one more to try,

ipconfig /flushdns

after its done

ipconfig /registerdns

Also please post if you have a static IP still configured or did you set it back to dynamic

plug directly into your modem and try to connect that way if you can connect through the modem directly and you know you have it configured correctly, then the problem should be between your router and modem

I did but my computer is set up to share the connection so it doesn't like that it can't share it and it just will go "Limited or No Connectivity" It did that even when I could get internet from the router. By the way, the Geek Squad from Best Buy set it up last time.

The other thing is to look at the lights as those can tell you where the problem is sometimes.

your computer and router are communicating so that is not your problem.

The other thing is to reset your modem - Turn the modem off for 45-60 seconds and unplug it from your phone line.
Reconnect the phone line and turn the modem back on, being sure that it is not near CPU, monitor, TV, speakers, lamps, radios, etc.

Here is what is known about this problem: AT&T restored DSL modem settings, WRV54g Linksys router, GeekSquad handiwork, shared internet connection.

DSL modem lights should confirm internet connection. If no connection is indicated, work with AT&T. Check those pesky filters. Dual port filters connect to the modem & they have been known to be trouble.

Check out you local network; use a browser (Internet Explorer) to examine the settings for the router and for the DSL modem.
URL for router (from a previous post): 192.168.1.1
URL for DSL modem: 192.168.x.y

Do you know the URL for the modem? Ordinarily, it will be of the form: 192.168.x.1
X= {1-254}, trouble if x=1, since it duplicates URL for the wrv54g.

Temporarily directly connect computer to the DSL modem.
Use command window: ipconfig /all
Use results for the URL for the Gateway as the URL for the modem.

Use browser, enter the URL of the Gateway (from above result),
From the results, discover settings for the modem and the internet.

If both the router & modem use the same URL when viewed above in the temporary situation, then re-designate the URL for one of them (of your choosing). Consult user guides, when in doubt.

If none of this works, then please describe what your doing in regards to the shared internet connection. Examine Network Connections – LAN; one port should show as connected.

Describe your findings and the current configuration of you local network.

Please don't skimp on the specifics.

Ok... I'll try all of that out. I had to go after all that. I'm going to check my modem settings and. Just to let you know.. My DSL light is on all the time and if I unplug it and plug it back in it turns back on and then the activity light keeps blinking. I'll check the modem settings and see what they say,

Thanks for the help,
Michael

And also, I talked on the phone with AT&T and they told me how to set up everything. They said I was online but I actually wasn't. I was on the internet so I really don't think it would be a filter especially when my DSL light is on. I'm going to plug the modem straight into my laptop later and see what happens because that computer usually runs off of wireless but can be used through ethernet.

Thanks again,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back