Linux Kernel 2.6 is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a Linux fan, in fact i've only used Linux only one time, but seeing as how it has advanced i feel like congratulating those who geve birth to it...
Will other versions of the Kernel be relesed in the future?

Originally posted by Federelli
I'm not a Linux fan, in fact i've only used Linux only one time, but seeing as how it has advanced i feel like congratulating those who geve birth to it...
Will other versions of the Kernel be relesed in the future?

Of course other versions will be released. I would daresay thousands of programmers work on Linux every day, finding new and useful features for it, streamlining it, just making it a better OS.

This is something Microsoft doesn't have. MS may have it's Windows Update, which are mainly security and functionality updates, and stuff like Powertoys. But, they don't have something like Kernel development, you have to buy a whole new OS if you want a more streamlined and optimized OS, unlike Linux, where you just download the new kernel and compile it. If MS implemented something like this, maybe not full-fledged open sourse, but just kernel development updates, Linux might be doomed.

And you know what they say..."In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Originally posted by Vehementi
If MS implemented something like this, maybe not full-fledged open sourse, but just kernel development updates, Linux might be doomed.
Even if Windows did this, Linux would still have one major advantage...it's free!

If only Microsoft had some kind of Open Source Programme... :( Guess that will never happen, not even after Longhorn

What's the situation on the NTFS support in this version of the kernel ? I'm not looking for write support but a read support straight out of the box ( Thx RedHat :rolleyes: ) would be nice.

NTFS support out of the box has nothing to do with the kernel. Kernel itself has had read support for a long time - it is up to the distributor whether they enable it in their build or not.

Fedora fill be using the new kernel in the next release I believe (I have no idea whether they have the guts to enable NTFS). If you want NTFS support out of the box, install SuSE :p

Nodsu is entirely right, NTFS support is not compiled into the kernel or as a module by default, you have to recompile the kernel to get that. And even then, its read only. There is write support but I don't think it works well at all.

Which version is more like the windows 2000 / xp OS Redhat or SuSE? I've been recommended installing Redhat, because it's more stable and easier to use. ?

In what way "more like 2k/xp"?

In the graphics, setup, or?

Lindows is a distro that has been made with the most Windows GUI afaik, and it's pretty straight forward to set up...

It's also the one distro that's currently being attacked/attacking MS, so if you'd like to support it, check it out here

Lindows isn't free though but it's much cheaper then any MS OS.

If you're thinking about trying it, check out the Hardware Compatibility List.

My aDSL modem is not supported as usual ( hey I got it for free, mkay ? ;) ).

Originally posted by khosw
Which version is more like the windows 2000 / xp OS Redhat or SuSE? I've been recommended installing Redhat, because it's more stable and easier to use. ?

What we are talking about here is the kernel. Your question refers more to the actual distribution, of which the kernel is the heart. Having a new version of the kernel means that Linux itself does better things and works better.

I think you should download and install Fedora Core 1.

http://fedora.redhat.com/

I agree, Fedora Core is probably the way to go if you want an easy to install/use distribution that for the most part is pretty similar to Win2K/XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back