Linux Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_17

Hi all!!!

I'm very used to control another machine here throught the windows remote desktop. Now I installed another computer and installed redhat linux in it. I managed to get it up and running and I was able to configure the samba server with some shares so I can copy stuff to the linux box from my M$ computers. Now I want to leave the linux box withou monitor and only control it throu a remote desktop.

I managed to connect to the linux box through VNC, but I found 2 problems I can't get arround:

- I don't know how to run the gui (gnome) inside the vnc client

- I don't know how to run the vnc server automatically. So i first have to login manually, and then run the vncserver. What I want is to remotely connect the the linux box without login in manually in it.

I hope I can get some help, i didn't sleep because of this, al night trying :)

if you want to connect to a windows machine through linux, use the remote desktop client, rdesktop, which is available for linux to connect to XP machines and windows 2000 servers running terminal services.

to do it the other way round (i.e connect to linux from windows) use an ssh client to connect to the linux box, then export the display using this command:

export DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0

where 192.168.0.1 is your own window's machine's IP. You will need to be running an X-Windows emulator on the windows box such as X-Vision. That way, you will be able to mix programs running on the windows box and programs running on the linux box on your windows desktop, and copy and paste between the two, etc...

- I don't know how to run the gui (gnome) inside the vnc client

If you want domething to start in your VNC server, you must specify it in the vncserver configuration (~/.vnc/xstartup). I imagine just a 'gdm' command will get you a GNOME login screen.

- I don't know how to run the vnc server automatically. So i first have to login manually, and then run the vncserver. What I want is to remotely connect the the linux box without login in manually in it.

You will need to put the vncserver command in a startup file of your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back