Little Plug DANGER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy! I just started building my first self-made PC! But, I noticed that each little pin on the motherboard does something different, and on some of the multi-hole plugs, it's not specified which way the plug should be oriented so the right pins align with the right holes. Also, in my motherboard manual, for the front panel usb connections, it says pin 10 is USBOC and pin 8 is GND, but the plug that would go in pin 8 reads GND1 and the one that would go in pin 10 reads GND. I just plugged each of the usb plugs in its own second row of pins where the USBOC pin is absent. Also, is it OK if not quite all of the screws on the mobo are screwed in? And is it normal that the Power LED plug be totally absent?

Mobo: MSI P4N SLI
Case: Thermaltake XaserV WinGo V7000D
Everything else: Hasn't arrived yet.

you have to look at your jumper block diagrams. there is a standard setup for USB connectors, with the ground (s) at one end. as for the rest of your post, you'll have to be way more specific as to what 'holes' and 'pins' and 'plugs' you are referring to. if you're having that much trouble, you might want to have a technician look at it or take it to a pc repair shop to avoid causing accidental damage.

Thanks again, zephead. Sorry about that not-so-great post. I'll be more specific this time.

USB plug one:

VCC USB1- USB1+ GND1 GND

USB pin configuration:

VCC USB1- USB1+ GND USBOC

VCC USB0- USB0+ GND

I am concerned about which row of pins to plug in my two USB plugs, the top or bottom, and whether two or only one plug should be in each USB connector (set of USB pins shown above). I am also concerned as to whether the Power Switch, Reset Switch, HDD LED, Speaker, and Power LED (3-hole) plugs should be plugged in with the letters facing toward or away from the CPU. I'm also wondering if it's OK if I don't screw in all of the motherboard's screws (due to technical problems).

It is easier if you use the color of the wires I think ;
Red = power
White= Data- (Dx-)
Green = Data+(Dx+)
Black = Ground
As long as you Check Mb diagram and plug the leads from each individual USB terminal together ie, USb 1, USB 2 etc. You should have no trouble.

As for not utilizing all the screws , It is going to be a personal choice in that , vibration ,support for CPU, Fans ,etc are stabilized by all these mount points each screw left out will increase the chances of cracking the board or shorts etc.You will have to take the chance.
If at all possible use all the mount points.

Easy way to memorize the colors is think of the US flag RED/WHITE and B.....GREEN. Black is always ground. Somehow just starting with flag colors red, white and adding green helped me memorize it.

Then also thing about it this way if you say it to yourself "plus, minus, plus, ground". The first "plus" being the data. Because when you look at the little plugs coming from the case you will see designations like "-5", "+5", "grd" etc... So plus, minus, plus, ground is easy for me to remember.

And my take on the screws issue. Tis always best to put a screw in each hole they give. But if you can't then at least put a plastic standoff in the hole. The standoff isn't screwed to anything, but it acts as a spacer and is quite appropriate to use. If you can't even do that, just be VERY carefull about bending the motherboard when plugging things in. And be VERY carefull about not letting the motherboard touch the metal case. Perhaps use electrical tape on areas where the mobo might touch.

cheers

Thanks Vigilante! I took spacers from my olde PC to fix the screw problem. The colors of my wires seem to have been selected at random, though. One of my wires is blue, and most of the other wire colors don't make sense. But I just read somewhere that switches and speaker can be plugged either way, and I don't need LEDs, so I'm all set! Except that the rest of the PC arrives the day after tomorrow :dead:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back