Loading a page never finishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rf6647

Looking at the footer of my IE6 browser, it is happening now.

Symptom: "Opening page http : //www ....." is being displayed
Symptom: Gas gauge, all segments lit, still being displayed.
Symptom: Upper right corner, Windows flag is still waiving.

These symptoms are persisting.
Toolbar 'STOP' has no effect.
Toolbar 'Refresh' sometimes results in 'Done' indication in the footer.

I have a few theories about this and I am trying to fix the blame on someone. I am a fossil, so my understanding has not progressed beyond HTML 3.0. It is my guess that IE6 (and I've seen this in IE7), cannot keep track of packets. Even when I force the browser to reload the entire page with each visit to the url, I see no change in the symptoms.

Is any of this related to the firewall/internet security software? (Zone Alarm, AVG 7.5, SS&D 1.5)

Is what is happening in the 'ether' causing some packets to be called out from the cache, but not properly slipped into the packet stream?

Or is all this a necessary part of the internet strategy to treat this as an interactive session, and this preserves the linkage.

Here at TS, this is merely an observation. However, encountering this with Yahoo!Finance is very aggravating when some of the hyperlinks are missing from the displayed page that are needed to move recursively within the portfolio section.

SS&D 1.5 causes 'my portfolios' menu not to display

The part of the problem affecting Yahoo!Finance!My Portfolios is being caused by SS&D 1.5. De-select the resident SD Helper restores the proper display of the menu associated with the tab 'my portfolios'.

I stumbled upon a Yahoo forum with a link located in a busy portion at the end of their help screen. Here was their answer.

My stated problem has also disappeared when viewing threads here @ TS. Selecting/de-selecting SD Helper has no effect. I sampled 3 threads in this sub-forum.

I think you're looking way too deeply to 'blame something'! First, you need to understand that when internet traffic becomes heavy, it increases the loads on the servers. No matter what kind of connection you have, it is not uncommon to see a delay at these times. For me, for instance, about 4PM, after the banks close, I notice a slowdown.

If it's slow enough, you will get a 'timed out' message, This is just part of the internet life. I am not awarer of what Spybot Search and Destroy may be interfering unless you're running Tea Times- Tea Timer runs in Real Time, so the potential for conflict is greater.

If you have the problem with one site, consider the problem is with the site not your system. If you notice a slowdown occasionally and have done what you can withing your system not to have unnecessary start-ups which run in the background, then consider the traffic at that time on the internet.

If, all things considered, it continues to be a problem, contact your ISP.

I've been told that assigning blame is product of my religious up bringing. Enough said on that topic.

Most of us here @ TS are big advocates of SS&D, myself included. I introduced this tool on my dad's computer, and it 'broke' his computer. I do not have the time, tools, and talent to know what it broke. A differential diagnosis indicates that SS&D, Resident program, SD Helper caused a substantial change in how web content was being displayed (IE7). I duplicated the problem using IE6, a different computer, and a different ISP.

I am interested in finding a way to tune out this effect, besides disabling the function. Yahoo's pronouncement is, basically, the 'problem leaves here just fine'.

In the same spirit, I am interested in regaining the functionality to 'Stop' receiving content from a web site that is just 'waving the flag'. In this brave new world of ActiveX and JavaScript, it seems that some of the basic control is lost.

To enable TeaTimer:

* Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode (say "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Tools > Resident.
* Check the following:
o Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Please note: There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied. Note that if you close the popup dialog without answering it the registry change will be denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:

1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
* Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
* Uncheck the following:
o Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2467

"In the same spirit, I am interested in regaining the functionality to 'Stop' receiving content from a web site that is just 'waving the flag'. In this brave new world of ActiveX and JavaScript, it seems that some of the basic control is lost."

Browsers have settings to control Active X and Java. It is us to the user to apply them.

I have been using Spybot Search & Destroy on 2 systems for several years without incident. I have never activated the Tea Timer function. It is also my belief that it is the user who must exercise some caution in behavior on the internet.

TeaTimer is a a means to not allow changes to your registry without the user approving;
it does not directly impact your browser (see #2 below)

The hard part is "How can I tell what to approve vs disapprove?"

1- what are you doing when you get the prompt? If you're installing something, then
it's 99% sure to be a direct result of that install. However, if you're reading email or
browsing, then CAVEAT EMPTOR! What the heck is going on here -- deny - deny - deny.

2- You can always Deny or Allow without letting SS&D 'remembering' your choice and
until you get the pattern of what-happens-when, not remembering can be a good thing.
If you boot the system and DHCP completes a configuration of your NIC, then
TeaTimer will likely appear. If you say Deny, then no Internet will be accessible;
email, browser, updates... it will be obvious.

Control of ActiveX & Java:
Even MS has had an epiphany on ActiveX and now offer to control it in IE.
I've grown fond of Spywareblaster, which manages a Blacklist of Activex components regardless of your browser :)

There are several tools that get configured by prompting the user for a decision;
but the
wording is far too frequently so obscured that joe/mary doe have no idea what is
being asked nor the consequence of their response. This has ALWAYS
been the soft underbelly of software configuration.

Jobeard, Bobbye, thank you for broadening my viewpoint. Based on your input, I reached out to forums at spybot & castlecops for information.

At this time, we can consider this thread "answered".

I accept facts that behavior of a browser is conditioned by our desires for content, and the need of suppliers for ad revenue to support the content being craved. It is interesting to discover that even TS is not above the fray. SS&D manages to block "blacklisted" URLs emanating from ads supporting TS.

Jobeard, CastleCops site in its coverage for HJT analysis has a link appearing in the section discussing o16 -activeX objects, that links to 'SpywareBlaster'. Have I found one of your favorites?

You're welcome. Both the Spybot S&D forum and Castlecops are good- lots of good info around!

I use Firefox with the AdBlock and filterset extensions. I block out every ad I can!

Sometimes the pot calls the kettle black- again, just part of the internet life!

rf6647 said:
Jobeard, CastleCops site in its coverage for HJT analysis has a link appearing in the section discussing o16 -activeX objects, that links to 'SpywareBlaster'. Have I found one of your favorites?
big yes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back