Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
When using certain programs, I loose the internet connection. After a brief period it will come back on line and if the same program is active, the process will repeat untill I shut down the offending program. The error message presented is "local area connection network cable unplugged". Everything works fine as long as I do not start certain programs. The error is self correcting, but interrupts the communications that were occuring at that time. This is a new problem that arose after I optimed my cable modem settings. Does anyone know what I have done so that I might correct this situation?

Jallen said:
When using certain programs, I loose the internet connection. After a brief period it will come back on line and if the same program is active, the process will repeat untill I shut down the offending program. The error message presented is "local area connection network cable unplugged". Everything works fine as long as I do not start certain programs. The error is self correcting, but interrupts the communications that were occuring at that time. This is a new problem that arose after I optimed my cable modem settings. Does anyone know what I have done so that I might correct this situation?

firstly, what certain programs are we talking about?

My most consistent observation of this problem is when I am using a peer-to-peer sharing program, specifically eMule. This was working absolutly perfectly until I optimized my system. I am running Win2K with a cable modem operating 7/24. I have no problems until I start eMule and then the network icon pops up the error. It is self correcting and fixes it self after a breif period but then repeats the whole error and fix routine as long as eMule is running. If I close eMule, the problem mysteriously vanishes. I know it is emule that is forcing the error but I do not know how, therefore I am unable to stop it from reoccuring.

My most consistent observation of this problem is when I am using a peer-to-peer sharing program, specifically eMule. This was working absolutly perfectly until I optimized my system. I am running Win2K with a cable modem operating 7/24. I have no problems until I start eMule and then the network icon pops up the error. It is self correcting and fixes it self after a breif period but then repeats the whole error and fix routine as long as eMule is running. If I close eMule, the problem mysteriously vanishes. I know it is emule that is forcing the error but I do not know how, therefore I am unable to stop it from reoccuring.

i have never personally used emule, but have you check its settings and options? have you looked at error reports under administrative tools, event viewer? which, btw, you have to enable under taskbar properties, start menu tab, customize,

try change the port numbers to higher number
does emule use 6881 or something like that if so change to 32000 and up

In eMule you have a setting to limit maximum amount of allowed connections. Set it to something very low like 100 and see if the problem persists.

Also, what were the "optimisations" you did?

Original port settings were TCP = 4662 and UDP = 4672. These were changed to TCP = 34662 and UDP = 34672. New port settings were entered into eMule, these same ports settings were forwarded in the router and then verified as operational. After starting eMule, server connections were made, downloading began and the error returned. Since the ports are operational, I left them at these new settings.

I did notice that while trying to access the router immediately after the error, I could not. This leads me to believe that a NIC setting may need to be altered. Is this a possibility?

The maximum allowable connection setting was at 500. I changed this to 50 and restarted eMule. After a less than a minute the error returned.

The optimizations were:
TCP Receiving changed from 12800 to 255552
Default TTL changed from 128 to 64
Maximum connections from 4 to 10
Maximum 1.0 connections from 8 to 20
TuneUp Utilities 2006 automatically changed all these and I do not know how to manually reverse any of the settings.

This is the series of events as listed in the viewer:

1. Time: 7:40:47 AM
The system detected that network adapter Linksys Phoneline 10M Network Card was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

2. Time: 7:41:42 AM
The system detected that network adapter Linksys Phoneline 10M Network Card was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

3. Time: 7:41:42 AM
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C29C57FB-4059-4F13-BA64-D9922AB49EA4} because a master browser was stopped.

At this point, approximately 3-minutes, the cycle begins repeating itself as long as eMule is running.

4. Time: 7:45:02 AM
The system detected that network adapter Linksys Phoneline 10M Network Card was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

I am open to any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back