Local Area Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swappo

The other day I followed the steps outlined in the sticky thread on the Security and Web board for virus/spyware removal. Since I completed the cleaning I've been periodically losing my internet connection and getting this message:

Local Area Connection

This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. For more information click on this message.

Upon clicking on the message this window comes up that states:

Local Area Connection Status

Limited or no connectivity.

You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

To restart the connection and try to establish full connectivity, click Repair.

If clicking Repair does not restore connectivity, the problem might be with the network, not with this computer. Contact the person who manages your network.

Clickling Repair brings up this message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:

Renewing your IP address

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.

Restarting the computer brings my connection back.

Is it possible that during the process of removing viruses and spyware that a setting was changed by accident?

I suppose that is possible. It sounds like a service may be set to manual instead of automatic.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it.

Can you post a screen shot of the services window? You may need to post more than one screen shot, in order to show all services.

Regards Howard :)

I think you may have damaged your winsock settings. This often happens when removing spyware. The tool I have used in the past is lspfix. Here is a link to it:
http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm Just follow the instructions and all should be well.

Ahh, nevermind. Since you are only losing it periodically, then winsock is most likely not the problem. Sorry.

I just lost my connection again and when I wet to restart the computer these two messages came up on top of each other:

End Program - iESHaZ+f9ylz0J0IX/ur7410+default...

The system cannot end this program because it is waiting for a response from you.

To return to Windows and check the status of the program click Cancel.

If you choose to end the program immediately, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the program now, Click End Now.

And this message:

iESHaZ+f9ylz0J0IX/ur7410+default+Cfg+eeapp_imAPP_6.1.41.2:aim6.exe-Application Error

The instruction at "0x7c910f29" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

this is related to wrong LAN IP address, default gateway and subnet mask.
Default gateway is the ip address of the computer that has the direct internet connection, through this gateway, you connect to the internet.
by repairing, the ip's must have got reset.
"For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."
this is wat you need to do.

I've contacted my Interent service provider and their suggestion was to turn off the computer, turn off the cable modem, wait three minutes, turn on the modem and then turn on the computer.

That's basically their advice for everything. I can't imagine that this would fix the problem.

:haha:
humourous advice.
well...
check the ip configuration of another computer on your LAN n/w and copy it except for the IP address where you make a slight modification, like if IP is 192.168.25.50, make your IP 192.168.25.125 [or an IP that wont conflict with another computers IP on the LAN n/w]

-=-to check ip configuration-=-
go to "control panel>network connections"
set your control panel to classic view... [better for me to explain]

right-click on "Local Area Connection"
select "properties"
double-click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway blah..blah
subnet mask, default gateway should be same on all computers in the LAN n/w.
OR simply type "ipconfig /all" or "ipconfig" in command prompt.

When I double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" under the "General" tab it says:

You can get IP settings assigned automatically if your network supports this capability. Otherwise, you ned to ask your network administrator for the approipriate IP setting.

Under that it has the option to obtain an IP address automatically or to manually enter an IP, subnet mask and default gateway.

Under that it has the same options for the DNS server address.

you need to check the IP configuration of OTHER computers on the same LAN.
the IP must be in the format of 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx
check for most computers on the lan.
besides is your LAN using HUB or ROUTER?

That's what I was asking before. How do I check other computers? Start going into people's homes and messing with their comps?

The LAN is HUB.

I presumed you were on a router-based LAN, and since it's a LAN, i thought you had ready access to the other computers...
hope someone can help you out.
study this page but you need to know ur own LAN's configurations.
somehow :evil: barge into their homes and ask for help.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back