Local hosting does not work in winxp pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGates

I wanted to test a website I was making for a friend of mine and when I load the website using the local host It displays:

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

More information:
Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cant keep local host to display the website is there something that I did wrong. The host ip address is the default 127.0.0.1

post more USEFUL information about what you are trying to achieve and what hsa been done, or you might as well not bother to post at all. we ain't mind readers you know...

Achieve

I am trying to get the website to be viewable locally when I goto Preview. If a testing server is not working on your host computer using inetpub in the wwwroot folder on xp it doesn't work.

My other sites work except for this one and it doesn't make any since.

still unsure of what you're talking about...
the basic goal is to put the path and full file name of the file in the address bar of your browser. are you working with htm files or something?

If you double-click on the html file (from e.g. Windows Explorer) it should open in your browser. If not, you have an error in your htlm code.
Don't know about asp, never worked with it.

if you have it set for default and have not made a dns (named server)
like bear.com or foo.com you have to use the ip address numbers
try 127.0.0.1 thats your internal default
if using a script like asp or php and not familiar try a simple index.html file
Oh and that has to be the name of your root file in th root file folder
index.html like C:\microsoft\inent\www\ here is where the index html file goes
make sure you point to this in your server config file
I don't use M$ I use apache coldfusion cfm on java server
good like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back