Lock-ups, Freezing, Restarting.Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivan

OK here my problem my current pc runs ok on a 1.8 ghz but my intel cpu is actually a 2.4 ghz, but when i change the jumpers so i can run at 2.4 ghz, my computer is hard to start up(have to try a couple of tries), freezes and restarts constantly. My mobo does support my cpu so i dont see the problem. so i thought it would be my 512 mb ram because my mobo doesnt support so i took it out but still has same problem.... What could this be?
Heres
a link to my mobo manufacture and my cpu is a 2.4 ghz intel socket 478.
Please look at my system specs for any other info PLEASE Help :dead:

Which Intel chip it is exactly? There are many different chips under the P4 brand.... Northwood/Prescott/etc? (can't remember the earlier models)

yep i was messing with the fsb, here my cpu info from cpu z

Intel pentium 4 2.4 ghz
Northwood
brand id: 9
package:mpga-478
tech:.13 um
volatage:1.520
family:f
model: 2
stepping :7
revison:c1

I've found the northwoods running both 400 & 533fsb.
I have one here I'm selling in a system thats running 533fsb.
If you've been running it @ 1.8 then the fsb cpu settings in the bios are screwed up.
What make model motherboard?
We''ll look through the details to see where things need to be set.
Does this board have to use jumpers or is it jumperless bios?

theres a link to the mobo in the first post, and im pretty sure i have to use jumpers because in bios there locked.

Have you seem this addendum?
Shows some jumper stuff.
I'm looking through the full manual now.

Are you using sdram or ddr?
I see your board supports both. could be where the problem is.

Sounds like a power supply problem to me , what kind of power supply do you have? and do you know if maybe it is going bad?

Rhodes132 said:
Sounds like a power supply problem to me , what kind of power supply do you have? and do you know if maybe it is going bad?
I thought so too but he's been running his p4 2.4 @ 1.8....
Still it could be what keeping you from running stabley @ 2.4

I got a feeling its mobo related, although the PSU also seems like a likely culprit.

Also, I realised your CPU is underpowered, although by just a notch. The intel website says the recommended voltage is between 1.525 and 1.550. It shouldn't be the problem, but worth checking out.

Also, you might want to check voltages, probably have been messed around with.

i am using ddr, i think it may be the psu because it seems like the problem gets more worse, but im not sure. My psu is a codegen 300 w. and how do i check voltages?

hey i installed sppedfan and it poped up a window and it said
IT8712F FOUND
IT8712F support was improved.
Please, have a look at CONFIG / ADVANCED and read the help file about how to configure Advanced Options.

If this is a known good psu then it should be ok to test your system.
It's a matter of un-plugging a few things. no fans other than the cpu,
no cdroms, hdd's (unless you need them), uv lights etc. Pull any cards
other than the video card. Then run your system to see if anything
changes once you're booted into windows.

What ver of windows and how long since fresh install?

IT8712F / EC-LPC I/O

General Description

IT8712F is the newest member of ITE’s growing family of Low Pin Count Interface-based Super I/O devices with Environment Controller integration. IT8712F provides the most commonly used legacy Super I/O functionality plus the latest Environment Control initiatives, such as H/W Monitor, Fan Speed Controller, ITE’s “SmartGuardian” function and Smart Card Reader Interface. IT8712F meets the Microsoft PC98/99/2001 System Design Guide requirements and is ACPI and LANDesk compliant.

There are twelve logical devices integrated in IT8712F. IT8712F features the enhanced hardware monitor providing 3 thermal inputs from remote thermial resistors, or thermal diode-connected transistor (2N3094).

i got windows 2000 with service pack 4 and last time i installed windows was probably 3 months ago

ok everyone imma go start looking but before what am i looking for over 350 wats and what manufacture?

akaivan said:
i got windows 2000 with service pack 4 and last time i installed windows was probably 3 months ago
You should be ok there then.
I think we have it down to dodgey PSU or MoBo.
What video card do you have?

That could work ok, it's generic and probably not a real 400w
but I'm sure it will beat the one you have,

hmm found out he sold it....... I would like to buy that one from new egg but it may take awhile because i would have to use my parents card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back