logging onto a server2003 domain using dialup connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

Hi,

I am hoping to setup a laptop to log onto a domain using a dialup connecting (actually a 3g card) but im not sure how to go about it, will the domain controller itself need a public ip to make this possible? Or can I setup some sort of port forwarding arrangement to make it work?

You will need VPN access through their firewall (username/password) or if they are port forwarding 1723 straight to the DC you will need only a local username/password on the Network.

You need to have this sorted before creating a PPTP connection. Dial-up shouldn't be a problem, just a little slower than usual.

1. Obtain username/password for VPN connection
2. Obtain Public Ip address or host name (mail.whatever.com) for where you are trying to connect to
3. Create a PPTP connection or install 3rd party application to connect once you are on the internet.

Good luck! :grinthumb

Thanks for the help mikescorpio81.
I tryed that and managed to get it working! I only run it on a test machine so i dont know what the speed will be like as the plan is to use it to run sage line 50. But I have been told that the vodaphone 3g cards run at about twice the speed of a dial up modem, so Im hoping that will be sufficient.

Thanks for the help

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back