1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Logitech adds Blue Microphones to its growing portfolio of brands

By Shawn Knight · 8 replies
Jul 31, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Logitech has agreed to purchase audio production company Blue Microphones. Terms of the deal weren’t specified in either company’s post although according to The Verge, it’s an all-cash transaction valued at $117 million.

Blue Microphones was founded in 1995 by Skipper Wise and Martins Saulespurens. The company sells microphones, headphones and accessories to musicians, gamers, YouTubers, podcasters and streamers across a variety of price ranges.

Ownership of the company has changed hands a couple of times over the past decade – first in 2008 when it was sold to private equity firm Transom Capital and again in 2013 when The Riverside Company came knocking.

Logitech CEO Bracken Darrell said the purchase will accelerate their entry into a growing market and offers another way for them to help bring people’s passions to life. Blue CEO John Maier echoed similar sentiments, saying it helps them fulfill their ultimate purpose – helping as many of their users find and amplify their voice as they can.

Maier also teased that Blue has some new products in development but stopped short of sharing any details.

With the acquisition, Logitech further expands its portfolio of brands. In 2016, the company purchased private consumer electronics company Jaybird for $50 million and last summer, it welcomed console headset maker Astro to the family for $85 million in cash.

Permalink to story.

2. Axiarus

Axiarus TS Evangelist Posts: 331   +193

I am glad I got my Yeti before this takeover.

Wendig0 likes this.
  3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,137   +134

R.I.P. Blue

4. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Evangelist Posts: 392   +261

I'm not sure if this is good or not. Blue makes absolutely excellent mics. Will that continue or decline after this take over?

5. Wendig0

Blue's low-end mics like the Yeti and Yeti Pro are ok. Their high-end mics are excellent. I've had both the Yeti and Yeti Pro, but I recently upgraded to an Electrovoice RE20. It sounds absolutely amazing.

6. seefizzle

I have the yeti pro on my desk right now. I have many other microphones as well. I also have access to a mic locker full of expensive microphones leading up to a vintage mic that costs over 5 grand.

Just a heads up, generally speaking, one microphone isn't better than another microphone. Not objectively anyways, and specs don't matter. Cost doesn't matter. Nothing really matters with microphones. Granted, if you get a 20 dollar microphone it's probably going to pretty nasty. Anything outside of the cheap-o microphone range is gonna be straight. Let me explain why.

Microphones have what they call a frequency response chart. In a perfect world a mic would record audio exactly as your ears hear it. In reality the electronics inside are going to change the sound in some subtle ways. For example, one mic might record more low end or might cut out a little of the high end. It's just the nature of recording.

If you put two mics side by side and recorded the same thing, you could take one recording and compare it to another. Then you'd pick one and say, this one is better. Ok. That's just for YOUR voice. Turn around and do the same thing with an acoustic guitar and now the reverse mic sounds better because it's frequency curve boosts the mids. The first mic sounds better on your voice, the second one sounds better on a guitar. Each mic has it's purpose, and each mic is objectively good at what it does. The trick is to match the mic with the source audio, and to know which mics sound best for which inputs. There's no good way you can do this without just testing them over and over again on different things.

I'll tell you why the RE20 mic you got sounds good, or why you like it. The RE20 mic boosts the low end of the frequency spectrum and is particularly susceptible to the "proximity effect". This means that the closer you are to the mic when you talk the more it picks up the low end and it boosts it even more. The net effect of using this mic is that you have a boomy sort of radio voice going on. If you walk into damn near any radio station in the world there will be RE20's or RE320's everywhere. They're used for broadcast everywhere.

Now compare that to the yeti microphones. These mics don't boost the low end as much. Your voice likely sounds less boomy, maybe a little more airy or tinny. If you tried to record some very delicate upper range piano notes with the RE20 it might come out as a muddled mess, where the yeti microphone would shine in this situation.

Bottom line, Blue makes great mics across the board. The yeti is great. The Bluebird is downright amazing. All mics are pretty amazing if you know what you're doing with them though.

7. Wendig0

I won't dispute any of that. I'm not an audio engineer or professional broadcaster. I prefer my yeti pro over my yeti simply because of the modularity of it. I can plug it in via usb or xlr and I don't believe I'll sell it simply because of that. I wasn't saying that the yeti/yeti pro were bad microphones, but I prefer my RE20 over both yetis for the same reasons you stated above, but for a road trip I'll carry my yeti pro with me. I'm curious whether logitech will have any effect, good or bad, on the quality of Blue mics.

8. seefizzle

Very well, understood. I thought I was telling you something you didn't know in a manner which might shed some light on microphone technology in such a fashion that it prevented you from thinking that more expensive mics were just better somehow. This is a common mentality I see all over the internet. People get all enamored by BS with microphones. But if you're literally just looking at the connectors and stuff, or size, or portability, then for sure these things might make one mic more favorable than another. I hope my comment sticks with you and I helped teach something, but if it's irrelevant then ignore me.

Wendig0 likes this.
  9. Wendig0

I appreciate it. (y)