Logitech Z560 or Altec Lansing 641?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

The question of the century :dead:

My question is, which one of these two excellent speaker systems should I purchase? I've heard equally positive reviews from both of them.

I'm really quite stumped, and my current strategy is to opt for the cheaper one when I buy them. Both have the same MSRP, which is $200. And right now I've found them both for the same price, $119.

Both are THX certified :(

Logitech Z560

Altec Lansing 641

I'm really stuck :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From Tom's Hardware massive speaker roundup:
As for the bigger, more expensive systems, three of them stand out: the MegaWorks 510D, the 641 and the Z-560. If money isn't an issue, then you can go for the 510D with your eyes closed, though the other two will still give you pleasure. Of these three giants, the best quality/price ratio is the Z-560. For design and sweet sound, the winner is the Altec Lansing 641.

Levels the playing ground even further :( I am a sucker for sweet sound, but also budget!!! :dead:

Personally I'd go for the Altec's but that's me and I've always gotten good performance from Altec speakers. I would assume you are leaning toward the Logitec's though, since you seem to recommend them to everyone.

Well, I am reccomending them to everyone, just cause they're great speakers. But I'm very much stuck between the two. I mean, I cannot decide.

I just wonder how you can recommend something you have yet to use yourself. I cannot do that. I mean, just because the reviews say something is good, means squat to me. I also want the opinions of actual users of the product.

I think that when most people post, asking what they should buy, they have probably already read at least a few reviews, now they want to know what users of that product or service think about it.

Well, pretty much every review I've read for the Logitechs states in clear writing they're very high quality speakers. Most of the guys who write these incredibly detailed reviews are audio gurus who know exponentially more about speakers than you or I. For them to say it's high quality can only mean one thing...

$.02

But yes I do identify with your can't-reccomend-until-tried-myself way of doing things. If I hear that something is great by alot of other sources, than I can easily say that it's great, but nothing really settles my mind like actually trying and observing the product in question.

Well, the thing that bothers me about these "experts" and "gurus" who write reviews is, if they know so much about this stuff, why are they writing about it rather than designing it?

Most reviews are done in lab-like conditions, this isn't a true test of the product. The only way to really test the quality of something is to play with it until it breaks. Use the product for a given amount of time, and use it in a realistic manner, then see what it takes to render it completely useless. I have seen many things over the years that weren't the best under normal use, but it could take more ubuse and go back to working properly that the "best" could.

I think I like the Altec Lansing's better, I've read a few more user comments, and they've all preffered the 641's...

Watch as the magic bumpification occurs!

I don't like how the 641's speaker cables are permanently embedded in the sub...you can't replace them w/ longer cables.

But the Logitech's allow you to do this...in fact it's reccomended...I can have whatever speaker cables I want...

Plus they're really pretty and would go nice with my room...

Logitech Z560's problem.....

I went to a Harvey Norman store in Perth to check out for some pc speakers. Then i came across a Z560 sitting on a shelf with a reasonable range of speakers (9 different sets). So i asked the salesperson for an audition, the subwoofer didn't really worked, he went out in search of help. Later his colleague informed that the sub was faulty. Both were impress with the sound quality, on the other hand, the salesperson's coleague told me that a customer brought back his set of Logitech after two weeks of purchase as the fuse in the sub blew when the bass was set to the highest level.

I m still searching for speakers at a reasonable price at this moment, and still prefer 641 over Z560.

Anything and everything anyone ever said about home theater equipment buffness is 100% correct.

For Christmas, I scored a pair of gargantuan Pioneer home theater speakers...currently arranged to each side of me...

My boombox isn't boom enough for these speakers...man I need a legit receiver.

I could stick with these and save the hundreds of dollars I got for Xmas too...

Yes - get yourself a decent reciever for those and I guarentee you won't regret it. I love reciever/speaker combo.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Anything and everything anyone ever said about home theater equipment buffness is 100% correct.

For Christmas, I scored a pair of gargantuan Pioneer home theater speakers...currently arranged to each side of me...

My boombox isn't boom enough for these speakers...man I need a legit receiver.

I could stick with these and save the hundreds of dollars I got for Xmas too...

Then get ready to annoy and rock your neighbours hard!!!!!!!:evil:

Originally posted by young&wild
Then get ready to annoy and rock your neighbours hard!!!!!!!:evil:

Or just my mother :haha: I don't have another neighbor for like maybe a quarter mile. But, if I point these babies out the window, they'll hear it!

Hmm, Altec Lansing 641 speaker power output: 32W per channel.

Pioneer speaker output: 150W each
KLH center speaker output: 100W

:eek:

Now I just need a sub, and man, I'll be doing cartwheels over the horizon....

well what do you have more of, altec stuff or logitech stuff? Thats what i'd go by haha.

Originally posted by Nick
well what do you have more of, altec stuff or logitech stuff? Thats what i'd go by haha.

Heh I have a Logitech mouse and a set of Altec Lansing speakers for my other computer. So it's a draw there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back