Long beep, short deadline :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

my pc wont bootup.. i am getting one long beep. all the fans go, two mobo lights come on, and all the drives spin.

i have a 2.8 p4, 2x 512mb ddr 400 ram, GT6600. my motherboard is an abit 1s7

any ideas whats up?? i have a very big deadline coming up :-(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Can you describe the 1 long beep a little more?

Does it do this then nothing?

Does it do this then repeat?

If it gives one long beep and then nothing, then it probably means you have a faulty cpu.

See Below.

Basic Beep Codes for ABIT AWARD BIOS Motherboards

No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a dead-on-arrival board

One beep - board is working fine

One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or missing CPU

1 short(Beep) System booting is normally

2 short(Beep) CMOS setting error

1 long - 1 short(Beep) DRAM ERROR

1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

1 long - 3 short(Beep) Keyboard Error

1 long - 9 short(Beep) ROM Error

Long(Beep) continuous DRAM isn't inserted correctly

Short(Beep) continuous POWER supply has a problem

A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages

Four beeps then machine shuts down. This is because this version of the BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on the fan header. Make sure you attach a fan to the FAN1 or FAN4 header or clear CMOS to reset to default (no checking).

Thanks to Paul Howland & Overclockers for providing the information.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi,

thanks for getting back to me..

the long beep repeats over and over again, nothing is displayed on the screen.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Long(Beep) continuous DRAM isn't inserted correctly

This is the first time I've seen a single/continuous long beep explination.
There are other recent posts with similar symptoms, though mostly new builds.
These are reported as multiple long beeps on different bios's.
I've tried to reproduce this on a test system and have not been able to get this particular error code. I'm asking here in hopes of understanding this better. Occationally I've gotten the "A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages" on my very similar IC7-g and has proved to be a glitch in my bios "out of specification voltages" durring my OC tweaking,
which is very uderstandable and correctable.

In this thread it appears to be a running system that is failing to boot and suddenly getting this error. I would also suggest a bios upgrade for his IS7 after re-seating his ddr ram. A can of commpressed air could do wonders to clean out the dust bunnies should this prove to be a heating issue.

G'Luck

Thanks Howard & Paul Howland!

Shut down your computer and unplug it from the mains.

Making sure you are grounded, with either an atistatic wrist strap, or touching the psu/case.

Try resetting the cmos. You can do this by moving a jumper on the mobo. See your mobo manual. Alternatively, you can do this by taking out the cmos battery for a couple of minutes and then replacing it. Does that help?

If not go to the next step below.

Completely disconnect anything not required to boot your computer.

Just leave the psu/mobo/cpu/1 stick of ram/video card. Make sure all these components are seated correctly. Does the attempt to boot?

If not, try with the other stick of ram. Still a no, then you have a hardware problem with one of the components.

Regards Howard :)

Hi,

i have tried all of the above with no luck.. at the moment, i just have my video card, one 512 stick, cpu, fans and power supply plugged in.

i reset the cmos with the jumpers.. nothing still getting long beeps .. could my ram have broken after two years?? both sticks?

many thanks for you help so far :)

cheers.
G

Yes the ram very well could be bad, try it in another system if you can.
What brand pc3200?

its veritech ddr400 p3200 cl2.5

sadly i am surrounded by mac so i can test it in another machine.

should i bite the bullet and buy some more ram :-(

The only way to test if it`s your ram, is to try another stick.

I`m leaning towards a cpu/mobo problem I`m afraid.

Take off the heatsink and clean off the old thermal pad/paste with a little isopropyl alcohol. Apply some new thermal paste to the die of the cpu and reattach the heat sink.

Instructions for applying thermal paste can be found HERE.

See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

:-( not sounding good, so what should i buy first the ram or a new board?? early i reset the ram and it booted up, ran for a few hours, crashed and than i started getting the beeps agian.

Depending on where you are in the world.
I would look for any place to get either componant locally, should 1 or the other prove not to be the problem, you could quickly return it.
Most likely ram first.
Maybe even find a place to test the ram before you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back