Long Boot/BIOS initialisation time for Gigabyte GA-K8nspro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently installed a SATA 80gb Seagate disk & a 40gb Western Digital HD, suffice to say I messed up the xp install several times. In the end I had the OS spread across 2 drives (1 boot drive and 1 system drive) unintentionally. I've also installed a new Zalman cpu fan (heat temps 35c idle). Ever since then my machine takes at least 10 seconds from when I press the power button to when the BIOS actually beeps. It also takes ages to detect my HD's. I was originally running the F10 BIOS no probs until this incident. I reflashed to f4 and now when I boot the the xp complains that I have a "Missing or Corrupt c:\windows\system32\hal.dll" :dead: . I realise that this is pretty terminal. But when I used gigabytes dual bios thingy and booted from the backup (F2 revision) XP loads fine, but it still takes ages to initialise (ie beep) and the HD's still take ages to detect(sometimes not at all :knock: ) . It just seems generally flaky on boot. Anyone have any ideas? any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Athlon 64 3200+ (1000 fsb s754)
Gigabyte GA-K8ns pro (Rev. F2 at the moment)
1024MB Corsair CMX512-3200C2 (512x2)
Gigabyte x800pro 256MB
Jeantech 500w PSU

given my past experiences with said problem/board (you'r eno tthe first this axact thing has happened to), i'd say the board is bad and needs to be returned. it happened to me on pcs i was building for people on 6 non-consecutive occasions, all with the same gigabyte board as you. after much testing, i acertained that there was an electrical fault within the board's pcb and replacing the board fixed the problem every time.

Thanks

Cheers for the reply, the board's only 6 months old. So if I have to replace it I think think I'll upgrade to a s939 mobo anyway. I'll be sure to stay away from gigabyte, Thanks once again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back