Looking for a card to run my new 24" screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3051M

Hey guys, i need a card that meets the following:

-supports 1920x1200 resolution + a second monitor with 1280x1024
-AGP
-preferably ATI chipped
-trying to stay under $200AU (although if there is a better one just above, willing to consider)
-can play NFS:U2, C&C:1st Decade and CS/HL2 decently

pc specs are as on profile and in the attached everest report. PSU is a Coolermaster iGreen 500W, so power isn't a problem.

i was thinking of getting the HIS X1650 Pro but wasn't sure if its powerfull enough to run both 24" LCD and a 19" LCD on extended desktop.. and this x800 my friend has donated to me only supports 1600x1200 max.

hmm.. cool..

say, one question, what is the main advantage of having more ram on the card, 512mb vs the 256mb versions?

More VRAM would give you more framebuffer, which translates into better performance at higher resolutions like 1600x1200 and above with high amounts of AA and AF. At usual resolutions of 1280x1024 however, the difference is marginal, about 5%-10% at most. That is, of course, assuming all the details are set to maximum in either case. More VRAM basically helps the card to process textures better and gives it a greater ability to smooth out jagged edges via AA. So you'd only see a performance jump at very high resolutions where the textures would become large enough for a card with lower amounts of memory to stutter.

More VRAM would give you more framebuffer, which translates into better performance at higher resolutions like 1600x1200 and above with high amounts of AA and AF.
so for a monitor that needs to run 1920x1200 natively, i should opt for the more powerfull card?

how about the palit brand of cards.. are they any good?

Yes if you want to run at that resolution, I'd recommend that 512MB Palit X1950GT. Palit is a good brand so no problems there. The problem with lack of framebuffer is clearly evident in the 8800GTS 320MB, which struggles to deliver the same performance as its 640MB counterpart at high resolutions, despite sharing the same GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back