Looking for a fun RTS and/or RPG game

Status
Not open for further replies.

escarvajal

I have plenty of first person shooters (Far Cry, HL2, BF Vietnam, COD), but no real time strategy games, any suggestions?

Or how about online role playing games, any suggestions?

RTS - Exigo came out last fall, give it a try its pretty good AOM, CC series always good Starcraft warcraft. Many RTS that are exceptional. Or for major old school
MAX(TBS)
An RPG I recommend to everyone is secret of mana great storyline and awesome inovations that add the gameplay of an rpg. Like how hard is to add a second player feature in a game. Two player rpgs where a friend can just come over push select and join in was the best feature of secret of mana.

Guild Wars

I would recomend guild wars, its defintly a fun MMO. Elder Scrolls III morrowind I know its a few years old is one of my favoite RPGs of all time. As far as RTS go, Empire Earth is pretty good, and if your into Lord OF the Rings, The Battle for middle earth is worth it. Have FUn

Sean

If you aren't afraid of going back to several years ago gaming graphics, you have to give Starcraft a try. I think you can get the Battle Chest for it at Wal Mart for $20 now. Its challenging yet not so hard you get discouraged. Plus its a long game, espically with the Brood War expansion (comes in the battle chest).

I'm not sure how strong its online playing is anymore, but back in the day it was really fun to play online, also had ladder games which increase and decrease your ranking, and they have more strict rules. Battlenet has also eliminated 99% of any cheating that used to occur online.

I recommend you beat the Terran, Protoss, and Zerg campaigns before attempting to play online though, only knowing 1 race and playing online = defeat.

I second Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth. It's a great RTS that will cause you to lose track of time. A good (easy to get into) MMO is World of Warcraft. It's still not my favorite MMO, but I play it because you can get things done in a very short amount of time.

Guild Wars is a great MMORPG and it has no monthly fees, so that's a plus. offline RPG.......Golden Sun 1 and 2 and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind <------ Favorite Game of all time. As for a RTS......Rome: Total War <----2004 Strategy Game of the Year.......very awesome game.

Although it's a little old now, Homeworld (the original) is a good RTS game. I think it's still available and dirt cheap.

Ruined Embrace said:
Guild Wars is a great MMORPG and it has no monthly fees, so that's a plus

I was wondering how that was. The free play is very tempting and i looked at the box and the grahpics looked nice. Although i have heard mix reviews. I think i might give it a try.

AtK SpAdE said:
Elder Scrolls III morrowind I know its a few years old is one of my favoite RPGs of all time.
You think Elder Scrolls III is old? I still play Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall which came out in 1996. Although the graphics are primitive, its a outstanding game by all means.

Not to old

Well Elder scrolls three is not an classic old. but it is sort of "aged" But that doesnt take away the fun at all...I still play it, and contiune to write mods for it..

Sean

BTW-if you ever want any mods for Elder Scrolls 3 PM me

mailpup said:
Although it's a little old now, Homeworld (the original) is a good RTS game. I think it's still available and dirt cheap.
what about homeworld 2? ive seen some people with that game and this one guy who was walking around with it. which would you reccommend? hw1, or hw2? which has better graphics also?

For an RTS I'd recommend Dawn of War, its very entertaining with great graphics and fun units. Although if your very competitive in multiplayer you may want to wait, as there are some minor balance issues, but theres a patch and an expansion coming out in a month.

For an RPG you can't go wrong with Knights of the old Republic. Either one or two. Both came out within the last two years, so they are very similar graphicly/functionaly, with minor improvements in the sequel. Its got some great plot twists and the star wars liscense (who doesn't want a wookie backing them up, or to weild double lightsabers?)

I second the KOTOR games. Im a bigger fan of the first one, but the second one is good to dont get me wrong. One of my favorite feastures is the ability to go either light or dark (oh my!) the plot will keep you guessing, but make sense in the end.

and about dawn of war, its actually based on figurines that people (including me :p ) buy and paint up and play a tabletop game which is called warhammer 40 k. so if your into stuff like that, try the tabletop game out. and, i would reccomend warcaft 3 and dawn of war for goot rts.

look out for the up and coming elder scrolls games and also Age Of Empires III, both look fantastic. Morrowind (elder scrolls) is a good RPG out at the moment. Act of War (atari) is also a very good rts

I have some old school games, the companies and studios don't exist anymore, but there are still strong communities for both.

RTS: Total Annihilation old school rts allows third party units. Battles can go for 5hours + but its a great time waster. Check it out might be a little hard to find though, came out in like 95, can probably download off of bit torrent or some p2p app. If your really lucky like I was I found it in some shop for 5$ a few years back. http://www.planetannihilation.com/

RPG:Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, both excellent games, also have sever very strong and active communities, good site to check out for them is http://www.stgfc.com has forums mods links and downloads, definately worth checking it out.

Starcraft still has a large online player base. I get on everyonce and awhile and check it out, but I usualy get bored for lack of serious challenges, I played the crap out of that game back in the 90's

Dilmog said:
what about homeworld 2? ive seen some people with that game and this one guy who was walking around with it. which would you reccommend? hw1, or hw2? which has better graphics also?
Homeworld 2 has much better graphics. After all, the original Homeworld came out in 1998. But the original has a much better storyline and IMHO the gameplay was better.

I know it's not out yet, but anyone who saw the E3 footage of Oblivion was star-struck. This game looks awesome and is coming out soon for PC and XBOX 360.

Agreed on Oblivion. The expansive story and map, combined with killer graphics. Ive heard that the fighting engine is alot better then the repitive chop, slash, cut, repeat that was used in morrowind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back