Looking for Athlon 64 MOBO Compatible with Radeon 9800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am currently working towards building my own new computer. I will be buying certain parts, but keeping a few as well. While I wish to purchase a new AMD 64-compatible motherboard, I want to keep my current ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB video card and use it in my new system. However, I am having difficulty finding a motherboard that is both Athlon 64-compatible in addition to having an AGP compatibility. I've seen plenty of nice looking Athlon mobos, but they all seem to only have PCI slots and no AGP graphic slots that would be compatible with my current graphics card.

If anyone is able to locate a motherboard that would fit this description and link it here, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

That looks excellent! My question for you now is, would anyone be able to find me a set of RAM compatible with that mobo? I'm looking for 2GB of high quality DDR RAM that will work with that motherboard. Thanks again!

Which of those two would be better? Not thinking in terms of budget at all here, I really want the optimal performance for my card.

they are probably about equal...that asrock has that crazy ULI chipset that does PCI-E and AGP...the Neo2 is tested and true and the asrock only allows 1.45v to the cpu

Alright, that's helpful. OK, last request here:

Can anyone find me a good CD Reader/Burner, a DvD+RW burner, and a DvD player all in the same drive? I have yet to find one with all 4 uses in one. I can also get the first three in one drive and the DvD player seperately if necessary.

just look under "dvd burners/dvd-rw".. they all can read/write dvds and cds, some just depends on what format it can burn for dvds eg dvd-ram, dvd-dl etc...
i got pioneer 110D oem dvd-multi.. also good is the liteon 16x..
read reviews and product discriptions and stuff before you buy

p.s. dont forget to get a burning prog when you get your burner eg Nero OEM or Roxio or something.. winxp's inbuilt burning software is a bunch of crap (to not use harsher words)

Excellent. Now I have another question, however. I want to build my new PC so that it's upgradable for several years to come; i.e. 5+ years. I don't need two video cards right now, but I would like my system to be capable of upgrading to that when the time comes that it is the standard. My question is, do the dual video card setups like SLI and Crossfire not support any AGP cards? i.e. do I have to buy a PCI Video Card if I want to use a mobo which supports two cards?

More importantly, if I bought a mobo that supported two video cards, would the motherboard function with only one graphics card in it, or would I have to buy two off the bat in order for it to work?

SLI & Crossfire only work with motherboards that have PCI-e slots. To make matters worse, you need to have an nVidia based board (nForce) to use SLI & you need to have an ATI based board (RDxx) to run Crossfire. You can't mix them. You do not need to have two card from the start, they work fine with just one card.

AGP vga cards cannot do SLI or Crossfire, only PCI-e vga cards. Your only option for an upgrade after a few months would be the Asrock card as it lets you use your current AGP card & you can always go with a PCI-e card later down the road.

Computers really arent upgradeable after about 1 year. So basically don't think that you can just upgrade parts in 5 years...you will need to do a complete system overhaul.

not completely true.. pcs can be upgraded altho most likely under the term 'rebuild' most of the time... it justs depends on teh parts you purchase now vs parts available/better parts in the future.. and agp is getting phased out so yeh.. i'd agree with you to some point although for example there are places you'd find geforce 2 compatible agp cards for those ancient systems that cant take anything else still available right now

would prefer talking more but gotta rush.. the rest of you guys probably fill in the blanks..

Well, when AMD moves to AM2 then he will need new ram, new cpu, new mobo, new psu and new gfx. Basically all he can keep is his hard drive and case.

swker98 said:
the Asrock duel sata2 would work, it will work with your 9800pro and then if you decide to upgrade to a pci express card, it can do that to

Could someone please tell me if that card supports Athlon 64 X2 processors as well? It says it supports Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 FX, but because I'm getting an X2 processor, I want to make sure it supports that type as well.

How much were you willing to spend on RAM. I've got 2x1gb Mushkin RedLine PC4000 but it was $348. But then again, it also runs at 550MHzDDR w/2.9v. 3-3-3-6 1T

I was looking at getting 2x1GB Kingston DDR400. Was like $170 or something. I can spend a little more if that ram is too low quality, however.

THERE. You could also look up their latest BIOS which supports E6 steppings for dual cores & single cores or you could even look up my system specs & you would have your answer.

Your pick. :p

Roger that...I was initially looking at that board, but was then discouraged thinking it wouldn't work with a Dual Core processor. When I buy the board, is there something I will have to do in order to make it work, or will it come with an updated bios to support the X2?

It depends, newer batches of the board come with an updated BIOS which supports them out of the box (the box even says Dual-Core ready) but you could always stumble on an old batch which will only "see" one CPU.

You'll just need to update it so that it can see the 2nd core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back